Oct 19, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Via Mike Heika of the Dallas Morning News, a reminder that we’re days away from learning if the Dallas Stars will belong to Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi.
Gaglardi has already bid around $267 million for the bankrupt team. Now other bidders have until Saturday to exceed Gaglardi’s bid.
Bankruptcy court is very exciting.
And what happens if somebody outbids Gaglardi? Heika explains:
Once a bidder submits himself as a person with a bid $10 million more than Gaglardi’s bid of approximately $267 million, he must then be vetted by the league and the lenders, and that process will take almost another month. The bidder would be alerted by Nov. 19 whether or not he qualifies to participate in an auction, and then the auction would take place in Texas on Nov. 23.
So…this could continue to drag on.
Dallas fans are obviously hoping this all gets sorted soon. According to capgeek.com, the Stars have the lowest cap payroll in the NHL. If they can stay in the playoff hunt, maybe a new owner would be willing to take on some salary before the trade deadline.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)