Oct 19, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
The Sabres are 4-1-0 to start the season. Ryan Miller is playing like it’s the Olympics, Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville are scoring the way they’re being paid to do, rookie Luke Adam is forcing teams to take notice of him, and defenseman Christian Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr are doing their jobs to the hilt.
So what isn’t working for the Sabres? Free agent acquisition Ville Leino. Leino spoke with WGR radio in Buffalo about how he feels about his slow start with the Sabres and he’s got a few things to get off his chest.
“I don’t know if it’s the system or whatever, but I’m sure that I’m not happy with how I’ve played. I’m sure Lindy isn’t happy either. I’m just trying to work here and get things working.”
Struggles can happen with a new team when it’s early in the year. It takes time to develop chemistry that works great. What’s concerning is that Leino was bumped down to the fourth line in their win over Montreal last night.
Part of the issue for Leino, he says, is that he’s struggling playing center. Remember Leino saw all his success as a Flyer last season as a winger. The Sabres signed him up for a monster six-year deal in the offseason to play center. Whoops.
Having Leino set up on the wing with natural center Tyler Ennis there to move back to the middle could be the simple tweak needed to get Leino right. Playing him on the fourth line forever isn’t an option. If this is the only issue the Sabres have to figure out for now, they’re doing just fine and helping make Terry Pegula and GM Darcy Regier very happy executives.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 2
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 11
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)