Oct 19, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
The Sabres are 4-1-0 to start the season. Ryan Miller is playing like it’s the Olympics, Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville are scoring the way they’re being paid to do, rookie Luke Adam is forcing teams to take notice of him, and defenseman Christian Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr are doing their jobs to the hilt.
So what isn’t working for the Sabres? Free agent acquisition Ville Leino. Leino spoke with WGR radio in Buffalo about how he feels about his slow start with the Sabres and he’s got a few things to get off his chest.
“I don’t know if it’s the system or whatever, but I’m sure that I’m not happy with how I’ve played. I’m sure Lindy isn’t happy either. I’m just trying to work here and get things working.”
Struggles can happen with a new team when it’s early in the year. It takes time to develop chemistry that works great. What’s concerning is that Leino was bumped down to the fourth line in their win over Montreal last night.
Part of the issue for Leino, he says, is that he’s struggling playing center. Remember Leino saw all his success as a Flyer last season as a winger. The Sabres signed him up for a monster six-year deal in the offseason to play center. Whoops.
Having Leino set up on the wing with natural center Tyler Ennis there to move back to the middle could be the simple tweak needed to get Leino right. Playing him on the fourth line forever isn’t an option. If this is the only issue the Sabres have to figure out for now, they’re doing just fine and helping make Terry Pegula and GM Darcy Regier very happy executives.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 8
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 24
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 46
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)