Oct 19, 2011, 10:12 PM EDT
The Sabres are 4-1-0 to start the season. Ryan Miller is playing like it’s the Olympics, Thomas Vanek and Jason Pominville are scoring the way they’re being paid to do, rookie Luke Adam is forcing teams to take notice of him, and defenseman Christian Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr are doing their jobs to the hilt.
So what isn’t working for the Sabres? Free agent acquisition Ville Leino. Leino spoke with WGR radio in Buffalo about how he feels about his slow start with the Sabres and he’s got a few things to get off his chest.
“I don’t know if it’s the system or whatever, but I’m sure that I’m not happy with how I’ve played. I’m sure Lindy isn’t happy either. I’m just trying to work here and get things working.”
Struggles can happen with a new team when it’s early in the year. It takes time to develop chemistry that works great. What’s concerning is that Leino was bumped down to the fourth line in their win over Montreal last night.
Part of the issue for Leino, he says, is that he’s struggling playing center. Remember Leino saw all his success as a Flyer last season as a winger. The Sabres signed him up for a monster six-year deal in the offseason to play center. Whoops.
Having Leino set up on the wing with natural center Tyler Ennis there to move back to the middle could be the simple tweak needed to get Leino right. Playing him on the fourth line forever isn’t an option. If this is the only issue the Sabres have to figure out for now, they’re doing just fine and helping make Terry Pegula and GM Darcy Regier very happy executives.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)