Oct 19, 2011, 12:56 PM EST
Ovechkin has just one goal and two assists in Washington’s first five games. If the Caps weren’t a perfect 5-0-0, it would be a problem. As of now it’s just a concern. Mostly for fantasy owners.
“My results is not that good,” he said Monday, a day before notching an assist in last night’s 3-0 win over Florida.
Ovechkin played a season-low 17:35 against the Panthers. Granted, that wasn’t a huge surprise considering the Caps were protecting a lead most of the night. And according to coach Bruce Boudreau, Ovechkin won’t be logging the big minutes like he’s done in the past.
“He’s not getting 22 minutes a game,” Boudreau said Monday. “Instead he’s getting 18 to 19 minutes a game because the team is more balanced than it’s been in the past. How many goals does that equate to? How many points does that equate to? But does it equate to more team success? Sometimes less is better.”
With five wins and no losses, it’s hard to argue with the coach on that one.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 7
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 16
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 46
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)