Oct 19, 2011, 12:56 PM EDT
Ovechkin has just one goal and two assists in Washington’s first five games. If the Caps weren’t a perfect 5-0-0, it would be a problem. As of now it’s just a concern. Mostly for fantasy owners.
“My results is not that good,” he said Monday, a day before notching an assist in last night’s 3-0 win over Florida.
Ovechkin played a season-low 17:35 against the Panthers. Granted, that wasn’t a huge surprise considering the Caps were protecting a lead most of the night. And according to coach Bruce Boudreau, Ovechkin won’t be logging the big minutes like he’s done in the past.
“He’s not getting 22 minutes a game,” Boudreau said Monday. “Instead he’s getting 18 to 19 minutes a game because the team is more balanced than it’s been in the past. How many goals does that equate to? How many points does that equate to? But does it equate to more team success? Sometimes less is better.”
With five wins and no losses, it’s hard to argue with the coach on that one.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 11
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)