Oct 19, 2011, 12:56 PM EST
Ovechkin has just one goal and two assists in Washington’s first five games. If the Caps weren’t a perfect 5-0-0, it would be a problem. As of now it’s just a concern. Mostly for fantasy owners.
“My results is not that good,” he said Monday, a day before notching an assist in last night’s 3-0 win over Florida.
Ovechkin played a season-low 17:35 against the Panthers. Granted, that wasn’t a huge surprise considering the Caps were protecting a lead most of the night. And according to coach Bruce Boudreau, Ovechkin won’t be logging the big minutes like he’s done in the past.
“He’s not getting 22 minutes a game,” Boudreau said Monday. “Instead he’s getting 18 to 19 minutes a game because the team is more balanced than it’s been in the past. How many goals does that equate to? How many points does that equate to? But does it equate to more team success? Sometimes less is better.”
With five wins and no losses, it’s hard to argue with the coach on that one.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)