Oct 19, 2011, 6:13 PM EDT
You can’t blame Mike Babcock for being displeased with Detroit’s opening schedule. After racing out to a perfect 4-0 start — their first since 1997-98 — the Wings have been forced to sit and wait for game number five.
Five days, to be exact. The Wings last played on Saturday, a 3-2 win over Minnesota. They don’t play again until Friday, a home game versus Columbus.
There’s no specific reason why Detroit’s schedule has such a huge gap. The circus isn’t in town, Joe Louis isn’t under renovation and there’s no notable dog and/or pony show rolling through Detroit. The long break is just one of those weird scheduling anomalies. They happen. That doesn’t make it easier for Babcock to handle, mind you.
“Is it unbelievable or what? It’s painful,” Babcock told MLive.com. “It’s painful for the players and painful for me, and they’re probably sick of me and I don’t like watching them practice, either.
“We’d like to play games, that’s just the way it is. It is what it is. We got to be ready and we’re going to have a tiger by the tail [the Blue Jackets are 0-5-1].”
Thankfully, Babcock’s players found several amusing ways to keep themselves busy:
All that philanthropic work is good for the soul and probably helps in the karma department too. So it’s fair to suggest Detroit will be flying high on Friday, which is the last thing Columbus needs to hear right now.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)