Oct 19, 2011, 9:24 AM EST
After melting down against the Hurricanes last night, the Bruins are now 2-4-0 to start the season. The Bruins have been talking a lot early this season about how they’re not dealing with a Stanley Cup hangover, but after seeing Boston snap off at just about anything Carolina did to upset them and with “frustration” being the big word thrown around, it’s hard to not buy into the hangover talk.
Plenty of teams that goes deep into the playoffs, and even Stanley Cup winners, will go through the motions early in the year. It’s almost part of how thins go, but the Bruins’ troubles look a bit different given how they’re reacting. Too little emotion or way too much of it makes it look like the Bruins are trying to find themselves all over again.
For a team that lost just a handful of players in Mark Recchi, Michael Ryder, and Tomas Kaberle while gaining Joe Corvo and Benoit Pouliot that’s a lot of scrambling being done to find their way back to playing “Bruins hockey.” It’s all well and good to blow off steam in a game they’re struggling in, and the B’s will do that now and again, but for Boston the inconsistent play and the losses are the bigger problems. There are only so many things Zdeno Chara can do as captain to right the ship.
If they don’t find their groove soon, the chatter about a hangover will linger on like a bad headache a night after a bender with your friends. The Bruins just need to tap into what got them rolling along last year. Tough but smart play will win the day. Finding that level when everything seems to be going wrong, however, is the hard part.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)