Oct 19, 2011, 9:24 AM EST
After melting down against the Hurricanes last night, the Bruins are now 2-4-0 to start the season. The Bruins have been talking a lot early this season about how they’re not dealing with a Stanley Cup hangover, but after seeing Boston snap off at just about anything Carolina did to upset them and with “frustration” being the big word thrown around, it’s hard to not buy into the hangover talk.
Plenty of teams that goes deep into the playoffs, and even Stanley Cup winners, will go through the motions early in the year. It’s almost part of how thins go, but the Bruins’ troubles look a bit different given how they’re reacting. Too little emotion or way too much of it makes it look like the Bruins are trying to find themselves all over again.
For a team that lost just a handful of players in Mark Recchi, Michael Ryder, and Tomas Kaberle while gaining Joe Corvo and Benoit Pouliot that’s a lot of scrambling being done to find their way back to playing “Bruins hockey.” It’s all well and good to blow off steam in a game they’re struggling in, and the B’s will do that now and again, but for Boston the inconsistent play and the losses are the bigger problems. There are only so many things Zdeno Chara can do as captain to right the ship.
If they don’t find their groove soon, the chatter about a hangover will linger on like a bad headache a night after a bender with your friends. The Bruins just need to tap into what got them rolling along last year. Tough but smart play will win the day. Finding that level when everything seems to be going wrong, however, is the hard part.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)