Oct 19, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been around for a long time. Since 1909, to be exact. So whenever anything noteworthy happens, it’s off to the history books to see if it’s ever happened before.
It’s a bit like when there’s a really hot day on June 9 and the weatherman comes on and says it’s the hottest June 9 since 1935. Weather has a long history, too. It’s been around for like 200 years.
The latest historical tidbit to come out of Montreal is that the Habs are off to their worst start at home (three straight losses) since the 1938-39 season.
Courtesy Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette:
That year, Montreal dropped its 3-2 opener to Chicago, fell 2-1 to the Maple Leafs four nights later, then was bombed 7-1 by Detroit a week after that.
Stir in among those defeats road losses in Toronto, Chicago and in New York vs. the Rangers and Americans, and the 1938-39 Canadiens lost seven straight before finally earning a 2-2 Forum tie against the Amerks, even then blowing a 2-0 lead to escape with a single point.
Montreal’s first win would come in Detroit on Nov. 27, a 3-2 victory three weeks to the day after the season had begun.
A record crowd of 10,968 had jammed the Forum on Nov. 6 to see the Canadiens open against the defending Stanley Cup-champion Black Hawks (then two words). Former Canadien Joffre Desilets, with a pair, and Earl Robinson, once a Montreal Maroon, brought Chicago back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits.
And it goes on like that.
The point is, Montreal would really like to win a home game soon.
The Canadiens play tomorrow in Pittsburgh before returning to the Bell Centre on Saturday to host the Leafs.
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 0
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 10
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 29
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 91
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 99
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games