Oct 19, 2011, 6:43 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens have been around for a long time. Since 1909, to be exact. So whenever anything noteworthy happens, it’s off to the history books to see if it’s ever happened before.
It’s a bit like when there’s a really hot day on June 9 and the weatherman comes on and says it’s the hottest June 9 since 1935. Weather has a long history, too. It’s been around for like 200 years.
The latest historical tidbit to come out of Montreal is that the Habs are off to their worst start at home (three straight losses) since the 1938-39 season.
Courtesy Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette:
That year, Montreal dropped its 3-2 opener to Chicago, fell 2-1 to the Maple Leafs four nights later, then was bombed 7-1 by Detroit a week after that.
Stir in among those defeats road losses in Toronto, Chicago and in New York vs. the Rangers and Americans, and the 1938-39 Canadiens lost seven straight before finally earning a 2-2 Forum tie against the Amerks, even then blowing a 2-0 lead to escape with a single point.
Montreal’s first win would come in Detroit on Nov. 27, a 3-2 victory three weeks to the day after the season had begun.
A record crowd of 10,968 had jammed the Forum on Nov. 6 to see the Canadiens open against the defending Stanley Cup-champion Black Hawks (then two words). Former Canadien Joffre Desilets, with a pair, and Earl Robinson, once a Montreal Maroon, brought Chicago back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits.
And it goes on like that.
The point is, Montreal would really like to win a home game soon.
The Canadiens play tomorrow in Pittsburgh before returning to the Bell Centre on Saturday to host the Leafs.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)