Oct 19, 2011, 6:43 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens have been around for a long time. Since 1909, to be exact. So whenever anything noteworthy happens, it’s off to the history books to see if it’s ever happened before.
It’s a bit like when there’s a really hot day on June 9 and the weatherman comes on and says it’s the hottest June 9 since 1935. Weather has a long history, too. It’s been around for like 200 years.
The latest historical tidbit to come out of Montreal is that the Habs are off to their worst start at home (three straight losses) since the 1938-39 season.
Courtesy Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette:
That year, Montreal dropped its 3-2 opener to Chicago, fell 2-1 to the Maple Leafs four nights later, then was bombed 7-1 by Detroit a week after that.
Stir in among those defeats road losses in Toronto, Chicago and in New York vs. the Rangers and Americans, and the 1938-39 Canadiens lost seven straight before finally earning a 2-2 Forum tie against the Amerks, even then blowing a 2-0 lead to escape with a single point.
Montreal’s first win would come in Detroit on Nov. 27, a 3-2 victory three weeks to the day after the season had begun.
A record crowd of 10,968 had jammed the Forum on Nov. 6 to see the Canadiens open against the defending Stanley Cup-champion Black Hawks (then two words). Former Canadien Joffre Desilets, with a pair, and Earl Robinson, once a Montreal Maroon, brought Chicago back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits.
And it goes on like that.
The point is, Montreal would really like to win a home game soon.
The Canadiens play tomorrow in Pittsburgh before returning to the Bell Centre on Saturday to host the Leafs.
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 28
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 6
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 28
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 3