Oct 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur hurt his shoulder last Thursday in the first period of a 2-1 shootout win over the LA Kings. He left the game, was replaced by Johan Hedberg and did not return. He has not practiced or played since.
For some — like, say, reporters and writers that cover the Devils — this is a newsworthy development, one they’d probably like to inquire about.
To that, the New Jersey Devils say TS. (TS meaning “Tethered Swimming” of course.)
Today, GM Lou Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger that Brodeur’s shoulder is bruised and will not require any surgery. Also, that Brodeur will miss up to 7-10 to rehab the injury and that the 7-10 day time frame is “so that nobody asks questions about him every day.”
Then Lamoriello shook his fist at reporters and told them to get off his lawn. (*Jokes*)
As for what this means for the Devils — not much, to be honest. The team has thrived behind Hedberg (he’s a perfect 3-0-0) much like they did last season when Brodeur missed time with elbow and knee injuries. Hedberg went 15-12-2 with a .912 save percentage and a 2.38 GAA — the lowest goals against average of his 11-year career.
The problem, of course, is the future. New Jersey’s the only NHL team with a 39-year-old starter and a 38-year-old backup. The No. 3 goalie, Keith Kinkaid, is an undrafted free agent that spent last year playing for the Union College Dutchmen of the ECAC. Given that Brodeur’s been plagued by injuries over the last two season and Hedberg’s hardly a long-term solution, it’s not surprising scribes are asking questions about the goaltending.
They’ll just have to wait 7-10 days to ask them.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 13
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)