Oct 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur hurt his shoulder last Thursday in the first period of a 2-1 shootout win over the LA Kings. He left the game, was replaced by Johan Hedberg and did not return. He has not practiced or played since.
For some — like, say, reporters and writers that cover the Devils — this is a newsworthy development, one they’d probably like to inquire about.
To that, the New Jersey Devils say TS. (TS meaning “Tethered Swimming” of course.)
Today, GM Lou Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger that Brodeur’s shoulder is bruised and will not require any surgery. Also, that Brodeur will miss up to 7-10 to rehab the injury and that the 7-10 day time frame is “so that nobody asks questions about him every day.”
Then Lamoriello shook his fist at reporters and told them to get off his lawn. (*Jokes*)
As for what this means for the Devils — not much, to be honest. The team has thrived behind Hedberg (he’s a perfect 3-0-0) much like they did last season when Brodeur missed time with elbow and knee injuries. Hedberg went 15-12-2 with a .912 save percentage and a 2.38 GAA — the lowest goals against average of his 11-year career.
The problem, of course, is the future. New Jersey’s the only NHL team with a 39-year-old starter and a 38-year-old backup. The No. 3 goalie, Keith Kinkaid, is an undrafted free agent that spent last year playing for the Union College Dutchmen of the ECAC. Given that Brodeur’s been plagued by injuries over the last two season and Hedberg’s hardly a long-term solution, it’s not surprising scribes are asking questions about the goaltending.
They’ll just have to wait 7-10 days to ask them.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)