Oct 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur hurt his shoulder last Thursday in the first period of a 2-1 shootout win over the LA Kings. He left the game, was replaced by Johan Hedberg and did not return. He has not practiced or played since.
For some — like, say, reporters and writers that cover the Devils — this is a newsworthy development, one they’d probably like to inquire about.
To that, the New Jersey Devils say TS. (TS meaning “Tethered Swimming” of course.)
Today, GM Lou Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger that Brodeur’s shoulder is bruised and will not require any surgery. Also, that Brodeur will miss up to 7-10 to rehab the injury and that the 7-10 day time frame is “so that nobody asks questions about him every day.”
Then Lamoriello shook his fist at reporters and told them to get off his lawn. (*Jokes*)
As for what this means for the Devils — not much, to be honest. The team has thrived behind Hedberg (he’s a perfect 3-0-0) much like they did last season when Brodeur missed time with elbow and knee injuries. Hedberg went 15-12-2 with a .912 save percentage and a 2.38 GAA — the lowest goals against average of his 11-year career.
The problem, of course, is the future. New Jersey’s the only NHL team with a 39-year-old starter and a 38-year-old backup. The No. 3 goalie, Keith Kinkaid, is an undrafted free agent that spent last year playing for the Union College Dutchmen of the ECAC. Given that Brodeur’s been plagued by injuries over the last two season and Hedberg’s hardly a long-term solution, it’s not surprising scribes are asking questions about the goaltending.
They’ll just have to wait 7-10 days to ask them.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 10
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54