Oct 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EST
Martin Brodeur hurt his shoulder last Thursday in the first period of a 2-1 shootout win over the LA Kings. He left the game, was replaced by Johan Hedberg and did not return. He has not practiced or played since.
For some — like, say, reporters and writers that cover the Devils — this is a newsworthy development, one they’d probably like to inquire about.
To that, the New Jersey Devils say TS. (TS meaning “Tethered Swimming” of course.)
Today, GM Lou Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger that Brodeur’s shoulder is bruised and will not require any surgery. Also, that Brodeur will miss up to 7-10 to rehab the injury and that the 7-10 day time frame is “so that nobody asks questions about him every day.”
Then Lamoriello shook his fist at reporters and told them to get off his lawn. (*Jokes*)
As for what this means for the Devils — not much, to be honest. The team has thrived behind Hedberg (he’s a perfect 3-0-0) much like they did last season when Brodeur missed time with elbow and knee injuries. Hedberg went 15-12-2 with a .912 save percentage and a 2.38 GAA — the lowest goals against average of his 11-year career.
The problem, of course, is the future. New Jersey’s the only NHL team with a 39-year-old starter and a 38-year-old backup. The No. 3 goalie, Keith Kinkaid, is an undrafted free agent that spent last year playing for the Union College Dutchmen of the ECAC. Given that Brodeur’s been plagued by injuries over the last two season and Hedberg’s hardly a long-term solution, it’s not surprising scribes are asking questions about the goaltending.
They’ll just have to wait 7-10 days to ask them.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)