Oct 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
Martin Brodeur hurt his shoulder last Thursday in the first period of a 2-1 shootout win over the LA Kings. He left the game, was replaced by Johan Hedberg and did not return. He has not practiced or played since.
For some — like, say, reporters and writers that cover the Devils — this is a newsworthy development, one they’d probably like to inquire about.
To that, the New Jersey Devils say TS. (TS meaning “Tethered Swimming” of course.)
Today, GM Lou Lamoriello told the New Jersey Star-Ledger that Brodeur’s shoulder is bruised and will not require any surgery. Also, that Brodeur will miss up to 7-10 to rehab the injury and that the 7-10 day time frame is “so that nobody asks questions about him every day.”
Then Lamoriello shook his fist at reporters and told them to get off his lawn. (*Jokes*)
As for what this means for the Devils — not much, to be honest. The team has thrived behind Hedberg (he’s a perfect 3-0-0) much like they did last season when Brodeur missed time with elbow and knee injuries. Hedberg went 15-12-2 with a .912 save percentage and a 2.38 GAA — the lowest goals against average of his 11-year career.
The problem, of course, is the future. New Jersey’s the only NHL team with a 39-year-old starter and a 38-year-old backup. The No. 3 goalie, Keith Kinkaid, is an undrafted free agent that spent last year playing for the Union College Dutchmen of the ECAC. Given that Brodeur’s been plagued by injuries over the last two season and Hedberg’s hardly a long-term solution, it’s not surprising scribes are asking questions about the goaltending.
They’ll just have to wait 7-10 days to ask them.
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 13
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 13
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 32
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)