Oct 18, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
New York Rangers coach John Tortorella isn’t in the greatest of moods these days. Which is weird, because he’s normally such a ray of sunshine.
The Rangers are in Vancouver tonight looking for their first win of the 2011-12 campaign. After starting the season with two losses – one in overtime, one in a shootout – over in Europe, Tortorella’s squad flew back to the United States and promptly dropped a decision to the Islanders.
A trip across the continent to Vancouver probably wasn’t what the Rangers needed at the moment, but Torts isn’t willing to use all the travel as an excuse.
Nor is he willing to be nice to reporters who ask about it.
“Don’t even go to the travel, if you ask me a question about the travel I’ll just up and walk away here – it has nothing to do with travel,” Tortorella told the assembled media yesterday in Vancouver. “You’re asking me about travel and you’re going to screw some guys who have a question. Any other questions?”
The next question from reporters probably wasn’t, “Can I have a hug?”
Tortorella wasn’t any nicer to his players yesterday. The Daily News reports he made them do push-ups when defenseman Jeff Woywitka tripped a teammate during practice. (Penalties have been a problem for the Rangers.)
Of note, New York hasn’t won in Vancouver since Oct. 11, 1997.
What was life like back then? Courtesy Dave Lozo of NHL.com: “the cost of a gallon of gas was about $1.25. It varies from place to place, but the average cost for a gallon of gas today is about $3.60.”
In conclusion, gas is too expensive. They should make it cheaper.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner