Oct 18, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
As the above video explains, NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan handed down his second suspension of the regular season — two games to Pens blueliner Kris Letang for boarding Winnipeg’s Alex Burmistrov.
I was actually watching the Pens-Jets game when the hit occurred. Looked like a nasty piece of business in real-time, so it was surprising when referee Dean Morton (who signaled a penalty immediately) only tagged Letang with a two-minute minor.
Of course, the on-ice ruling didn’t seem to lessen Letang’s punishment. That’s probably because he was classified as a repeat offender — Shanahan made mention that Letang was fined for a similar hit back in April — and the check was delivered “with force” while hitting Burmistrov between the numbers.
Letang will miss games tonight at Minnesota and Thursday, Oct. 20, vs. Montreal. He will be eligible to return Saturday, Oct. 22, vs. New Jersey. Not great news for the Penguins, who are already without Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Tyler Kennedy, Brooks Orpik and Dustin Jeffrey. Letang is second amongst all NHL defencemen in points and eighth among all players in time on ice per game, averaging 26:01 a night.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination