Oct 18, 2011, 11:27 PM EST
The Columbus Blue Jackets lost to Dallas 3-2 at the Nationwide Arena tonight, a loss that dropped them to 0-5-1 on the year.
The loss left Columbus as the only Western Conference team without a victory. Dating back to last season, the Jackets have just one regulation win in their last 28 regular-season games.
Needless to say, things are pretty grim in Jacket-ville.
But if you thought the loss and awful record were the low points, you probably didn’t see the goal Stars LW Jamie Benn scored early in the third period:
Sweet fancy Moses.
Okay, let’s go through this. When Benn picks up the puck, he’s essentially one-on-four, surrounded by Columbus’ Rick Nash, Kris Russell, Derick Brassard and Alexandre Giroux. Giroux goes off for a change, at which point Benn moves into the attacking zone and beats Russell on the boards before being met by Aaron Johnson.
So at this point, Benn has now gone one-on-five — and it’s about to get worse for C-Bus.
Johnson tries to knock the puck loose and whiffs (credit Rick Nash for his courtesy swipe), giving Benn an open shot at goal. Steve Mason is left sprawling, perhaps in shock and/or awe of what he just witnessed. The rest is predictable; Benn snaps the puck home as Jackets play-by-play man Jeff Rimer tries to make sense of it all.
“Oh my, getting behind the Jackets defense…Jamie Benn! As the Jackets’ miscues continue, Jamie Benn puts Dallas up 2-0.”
Give Benn credit for a nice display of strength and skill, but c’mon. The only other Star to enter the screen was Steve Ott, and that was at the very end of the play. A team as desperate as the Blue Jackets can’t allow an opponent to walk through the entire team.
The Ottawa Senators had their closed-door, players-only meeting already. At what point does Columbus do the same?
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)