Oct 18, 2011, 3:09 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Brian Campbell, Florida Panthers
With seven assists in his first four games, Campbell is actually earning his fat contract. You know the contract. The one everyone in Chicago was happy to be rid of when the puck-moving defenseman was traded from the Blackhawks at the draft.
Of course, the Panthers have no cap crunch to speak of. Campbell could have a hit of $15 million and they’d still be under the limit.
In Florida’s 7-4 win over the Lighting Monday night, Campbell tallied four assists, each of them on the power play. (The Panthers scored five times with the man advantage. Maybe stop taking so many penalties, Tampa Bay.)
“It’s just one of those nights, I guess. Things are going good,” Campbell said. “That’s not going to happen too often, so you’ll take it when you get it.”
Heading into tonight’s game in Washington, Florida (3-1-0) sits second in the Southeast division, two points behind the Capitals (4-0-0). A surprise to many, but not to Campbell. Prior to the start of the season, he told NHL.com he had high hopes for the Panthers.
“I feel like we’re going to have success a lot quicker than people think,” he said. “For us, as long as we think that in the locker room and know that it’s playoffs or everything else is a failure and not acceptable, it’s a good place to start. I think that’s the mindset that we all need to have going into the season.”
Brian Campbell, everyone.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)