Oct 18, 2011, 9:29 AM EST
Kris Letang has a meeting with the NHL today to discuss the boarding penalty he took in the third period of the Penguins’ 2-1 loss to Winnipeg. There, Letang hit Alex Burmistrov from behind earning a minor penalty for boarding and drawing the attention of the league for what was a reckless hit.
While Brendan Shanahan was busy suspending players during the preseason, he has yet to get anyone in the regular season for running afoul of the law. Kris Letang could change all that, however.
If Letang gets sat down by Shanahan, the Penguins will be even more shorthanded heading into tonight’s game against Minnesota. The Penguins are already without Evgeni Malkin, Sidney Crosby, Dustin Jeffrey, Brooks Orpik, and likely Tyler Kennedy as well. Losing their top point-producing defenseman in Letang would help the Pens look more like an AHL team than an NHL team. We’re sure the Wild wouldn’t mind that too much.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)