Oct 18, 2011, 12:00 PM EDT
PK Subban has always been a polarizing figure for the Montreal Canadiens. Fans like his flashy moves and breathtaking rushes (even though they drive his coaches nuts). Fans like his brash nature and supreme self-confidence (even though they drive his opponents nuts).
But with the Habs collecting just one win in their first five games and Subban struggling throughout, fewer and fewer are enjoying the PK Show. It’s starting to drive everybody nuts.
Case in point: Montreal’s 6-5 loss to Colorado on Saturday night. After Avs F David Jones had just scored to tie the game at two, Subban tried to skate the puck through the neutral zone — despite being the last man back:
To be fair, Montreal is putting a lot of responsibility on the 22-year-old rearguard. Subban’s playing a whopping 24:55 a night thanks to injuries to fellow blueliners Andrei Markov, Jaroslav Spacek and Chris Campoli and, lest we forget, only has 83 games of NHL experience under his belt.
He’s cognizant of his struggles — “I definitely haven’t played my best, but sometimes things happen and you don’t know why,” he told TSN — but has zero interest in altering his game. Here’s what he said about the ill-fated move that led to Paul Stastny‘s go-ahead marker:
“If I make that move and I beat the guy and go in and score, no one’s going to say anything,” said Subban. “But I turned it over and obviously you’re going to get flack for it.”
Give Subban credit. He knows the stakes but is sticking to his guns.
For now, anyway.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4