Oct 18, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
PK Subban has always been a polarizing figure for the Montreal Canadiens. Fans like his flashy moves and breathtaking rushes (even though they drive his coaches nuts). Fans like his brash nature and supreme self-confidence (even though they drive his opponents nuts).
But with the Habs collecting just one win in their first five games and Subban struggling throughout, fewer and fewer are enjoying the PK Show. It’s starting to drive everybody nuts.
Case in point: Montreal’s 6-5 loss to Colorado on Saturday night. After Avs F David Jones had just scored to tie the game at two, Subban tried to skate the puck through the neutral zone — despite being the last man back:
To be fair, Montreal is putting a lot of responsibility on the 22-year-old rearguard. Subban’s playing a whopping 24:55 a night thanks to injuries to fellow blueliners Andrei Markov, Jaroslav Spacek and Chris Campoli and, lest we forget, only has 83 games of NHL experience under his belt.
He’s cognizant of his struggles — “I definitely haven’t played my best, but sometimes things happen and you don’t know why,” he told TSN — but has zero interest in altering his game. Here’s what he said about the ill-fated move that led to Paul Stastny‘s go-ahead marker:
“If I make that move and I beat the guy and go in and score, no one’s going to say anything,” said Subban. “But I turned it over and obviously you’re going to get flack for it.”
Give Subban credit. He knows the stakes but is sticking to his guns.
For now, anyway.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 1
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 15
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)