Oct 18, 2011, 3:14 PM EST
Ryan Whitney will make his long-anticipated return to the Oilers lineup tonight.
The Edmonton faithful have been waiting on this for almost a full calendar year. Last December, a busted ankle derailed Whitney’s promising campaign — he was averaging over 25 minutes a game and on pace for 60-plus points. The injury also exposed Edmonton’s lack of blueline depth as the likes of Kurtis Foster, Jim Vandermeer, Jason Strudwick and Taylor Chorney were forced into increased roles.
As for this year — let’s just say Whitney’s being welcomed back with open arms.
Through four games, Edmonton’s gotten virtually zero production from its back end. The only defensemen with points are Tom Gilbert (one assist) and Corey Potter (ditto). The unit’s combined for just 31 shots on goal through four games. Comparatively, San Jose D Brent Burns has 19 shots himself through four games.
That’s why Whitney’s return is such a big deal. There’s a real sense of optimism around the Oilers given how well the forwards have played and how “not terrible” the goaltending has been, so it’s quite possible the defense could be the deciding factor. If Whitney can give Edmonton
any consistent production from the blueline, the Oilers might hang around the playoff picture longer than expected.
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 16
- Report: Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 9
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 14
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 31
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (40)