Oct 18, 2011, 3:14 PM EDT
Ryan Whitney will make his long-anticipated return to the Oilers lineup tonight.
The Edmonton faithful have been waiting on this for almost a full calendar year. Last December, a busted ankle derailed Whitney’s promising campaign — he was averaging over 25 minutes a game and on pace for 60-plus points. The injury also exposed Edmonton’s lack of blueline depth as the likes of Kurtis Foster, Jim Vandermeer, Jason Strudwick and Taylor Chorney were forced into increased roles.
As for this year — let’s just say Whitney’s being welcomed back with open arms.
Through four games, Edmonton’s gotten virtually zero production from its back end. The only defensemen with points are Tom Gilbert (one assist) and Corey Potter (ditto). The unit’s combined for just 31 shots on goal through four games. Comparatively, San Jose D Brent Burns has 19 shots himself through four games.
That’s why Whitney’s return is such a big deal. There’s a real sense of optimism around the Oilers given how well the forwards have played and how “not terrible” the goaltending has been, so it’s quite possible the defense could be the deciding factor. If Whitney can give Edmonton
any consistent production from the blueline, the Oilers might hang around the playoff picture longer than expected.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)