Oct 18, 2011, 7:46 AM EDT
We all know about how the Florida Panthers changed everything up in the offseason and GM Dale Tallon had to spend like a madman to get the Panthers above the salary floor, but out of that chaos something bloomed. The Panthers have found themselves a competent and very capable power play.
In last night’s 7-4 win over rival Tampa Bay, the Panthers scored five power play goals and brought their league-high total of goals on the man advantage to eight. Florida has scored on 32% of their early power plays (8 for 25) and have used that advantage to beat Tampa Bay twice as well as the Islanders.
Seeing Kris Versteeg pile up three early power play goals might not be too surprising, but seeing defenseman Jason Garrison turn into a goal scorer from the point is. Meanwhile other guys like Ed Jovanovski, Tomas Kopecky, and Stephen Weiss are finding ways to make it all work as well and that’s not taking into account other guys like David Booth and Tomas Fleischmann who are working those power play units as well.
While you can’t count on that success to be maintained at that level of greatness, perhaps the Panthers and coach Kevin Dineen have stumbled upon their means of making a run at the playoffs in the East: Making opponents pay for their rule breaking ways. With the Panthers facing the Capitals tonight and their old friend Tomas Vokoun, the undefeated Caps had better straighten up and fly right… Or else.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)