Oct 18, 2011, 7:46 AM EDT
We all know about how the Florida Panthers changed everything up in the offseason and GM Dale Tallon had to spend like a madman to get the Panthers above the salary floor, but out of that chaos something bloomed. The Panthers have found themselves a competent and very capable power play.
In last night’s 7-4 win over rival Tampa Bay, the Panthers scored five power play goals and brought their league-high total of goals on the man advantage to eight. Florida has scored on 32% of their early power plays (8 for 25) and have used that advantage to beat Tampa Bay twice as well as the Islanders.
Seeing Kris Versteeg pile up three early power play goals might not be too surprising, but seeing defenseman Jason Garrison turn into a goal scorer from the point is. Meanwhile other guys like Ed Jovanovski, Tomas Kopecky, and Stephen Weiss are finding ways to make it all work as well and that’s not taking into account other guys like David Booth and Tomas Fleischmann who are working those power play units as well.
While you can’t count on that success to be maintained at that level of greatness, perhaps the Panthers and coach Kevin Dineen have stumbled upon their means of making a run at the playoffs in the East: Making opponents pay for their rule breaking ways. With the Panthers facing the Capitals tonight and their old friend Tomas Vokoun, the undefeated Caps had better straighten up and fly right… Or else.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)