Oct 18, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
What happens when the Bruins don’t have a good game going and need a spark? Zdeno Chara steps in and lights a fire the way he knows best: Dropping the gloves.
Chara stepped in with under six minutes to play in the second period when teammate Nathan Horton and Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison were having an aggressive discussion of the day’s events. With the Hurricanes leading 2-0, Chara stepped in and dropped the gloves with Harrison while others pushed and shoved around the Hurricanes net.
HockeyFights.com has video of the shenanigans here to check out.
With the Bruins having the ever-fiery Tuukka Rask in goal, Rask skated to the far end of the ice slamming his stick on the ice to get Carolina goalie Cam Ward‘s attention. The two chatted and whatever fire Rask had in him went away thanks to Ward’s charming words. The play saw Chara get five for fighting, two for instigating, and a ten-minute misconduct.
The Hurricanes got a five-on-three power play out of the mix up thanks to Chara’s instigator and Rask’s penalty for leaving the crease, but came away empty. Fights can sometimes spark a team but the Bruins will head into the third period down 2-0.
(Photo courtesy of Fox Sports South)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)