Oct 18, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
What happens when the Bruins don’t have a good game going and need a spark? Zdeno Chara steps in and lights a fire the way he knows best: Dropping the gloves.
Chara stepped in with under six minutes to play in the second period when teammate Nathan Horton and Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison were having an aggressive discussion of the day’s events. With the Hurricanes leading 2-0, Chara stepped in and dropped the gloves with Harrison while others pushed and shoved around the Hurricanes net.
HockeyFights.com has video of the shenanigans here to check out.
With the Bruins having the ever-fiery Tuukka Rask in goal, Rask skated to the far end of the ice slamming his stick on the ice to get Carolina goalie Cam Ward‘s attention. The two chatted and whatever fire Rask had in him went away thanks to Ward’s charming words. The play saw Chara get five for fighting, two for instigating, and a ten-minute misconduct.
The Hurricanes got a five-on-three power play out of the mix up thanks to Chara’s instigator and Rask’s penalty for leaving the crease, but came away empty. Fights can sometimes spark a team but the Bruins will head into the third period down 2-0.
(Photo courtesy of Fox Sports South)
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (58)