Oct 18, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
What happens when the Bruins don’t have a good game going and need a spark? Zdeno Chara steps in and lights a fire the way he knows best: Dropping the gloves.
Chara stepped in with under six minutes to play in the second period when teammate Nathan Horton and Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison were having an aggressive discussion of the day’s events. With the Hurricanes leading 2-0, Chara stepped in and dropped the gloves with Harrison while others pushed and shoved around the Hurricanes net.
HockeyFights.com has video of the shenanigans here to check out.
With the Bruins having the ever-fiery Tuukka Rask in goal, Rask skated to the far end of the ice slamming his stick on the ice to get Carolina goalie Cam Ward‘s attention. The two chatted and whatever fire Rask had in him went away thanks to Ward’s charming words. The play saw Chara get five for fighting, two for instigating, and a ten-minute misconduct.
The Hurricanes got a five-on-three power play out of the mix up thanks to Chara’s instigator and Rask’s penalty for leaving the crease, but came away empty. Fights can sometimes spark a team but the Bruins will head into the third period down 2-0.
(Photo courtesy of Fox Sports South)
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5