Oct 18, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
What happens when the Bruins don’t have a good game going and need a spark? Zdeno Chara steps in and lights a fire the way he knows best: Dropping the gloves.
Chara stepped in with under six minutes to play in the second period when teammate Nathan Horton and Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison were having an aggressive discussion of the day’s events. With the Hurricanes leading 2-0, Chara stepped in and dropped the gloves with Harrison while others pushed and shoved around the Hurricanes net.
HockeyFights.com has video of the shenanigans here to check out.
With the Bruins having the ever-fiery Tuukka Rask in goal, Rask skated to the far end of the ice slamming his stick on the ice to get Carolina goalie Cam Ward‘s attention. The two chatted and whatever fire Rask had in him went away thanks to Ward’s charming words. The play saw Chara get five for fighting, two for instigating, and a ten-minute misconduct.
The Hurricanes got a five-on-three power play out of the mix up thanks to Chara’s instigator and Rask’s penalty for leaving the crease, but came away empty. Fights can sometimes spark a team but the Bruins will head into the third period down 2-0.
(Photo courtesy of Fox Sports South)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (37)