Oct 18, 2011, 8:47 PM EST
What happens when the Bruins don’t have a good game going and need a spark? Zdeno Chara steps in and lights a fire the way he knows best: Dropping the gloves.
Chara stepped in with under six minutes to play in the second period when teammate Nathan Horton and Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison were having an aggressive discussion of the day’s events. With the Hurricanes leading 2-0, Chara stepped in and dropped the gloves with Harrison while others pushed and shoved around the Hurricanes net.
HockeyFights.com has video of the shenanigans here to check out.
With the Bruins having the ever-fiery Tuukka Rask in goal, Rask skated to the far end of the ice slamming his stick on the ice to get Carolina goalie Cam Ward‘s attention. The two chatted and whatever fire Rask had in him went away thanks to Ward’s charming words. The play saw Chara get five for fighting, two for instigating, and a ten-minute misconduct.
The Hurricanes got a five-on-three power play out of the mix up thanks to Chara’s instigator and Rask’s penalty for leaving the crease, but came away empty. Fights can sometimes spark a team but the Bruins will head into the third period down 2-0.
(Photo courtesy of Fox Sports South)
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)