Oct 18, 2011, 9:57 PM EST
You think it’s too early for trade rumors? It’s never too early for those and TSN’s Darren Dreger has a pair of noticeable names being pursued by NHL GMs in need of a boost. Dreger reported on this evening’s Insider Trading that Calgary’s Rene Bourque and Carolina’s Tuomo Ruutu are two of the players teams are calling about to get them on their teams.
Both players are physical scoring forwards and Bourque is coming off back-to-back 27 goal seasons with the Flames. Bourque also comes with a sizable cap hit of $3.33 million over the next five years. Bourque is also a much more attractive trading option than guys like Niklas Hagman or Matt Stajan who GM Jay Feaster is apparently already trying to move.
Ruutu is in the final year of his contract that comes with a $3.8 million cap hit. He can score a bit and play physically tough although Dreger reports that Ruutu feels uncomfortable with the physical side of his game at the moment. For a power forward that’s a bit of a problem. Ruutu had 57 points last year though and for a team in need he’d be a great pick up.
It doesn’t necessarily mean we’ll see anything come of this, especially with those kinds of cap hits involved, but it’s something to lock away in your mind as the season rolls along. With GMs doing a lot of scouting and asking about players already, you never know when we’ll see something go down.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)