Oct 18, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
The Bruins-Hurricanes game was certainly wild early on, but the Bruins’ feisty play only became more boneheaded as the night wore on in a 4-1 loss to Carolina. While Rich Peverley was able to cut Carolina’s lead to 2-1 in the third, the Bruins felt the need to motivate themselves even more by way of the fist.
Nathan Horton tried to engage Tim Gleason to no avail giving the Hurricanes a four-minute power play. Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic each found their way out of the game earning a 10-minute misconducts with under 10 minutes to play. Even the fans got a penalty for showering the ice with trash to protest the officials. Misconducts for everyone! It’s like Oprah Winfrey was wearing the stripes tonight.
The highlight (lowlight?) of this nonsense came when Bruins coach Claude Julien was tossed for the game for apparently yelling at officials as well. His game misconduct was tossed out after the game was over as he apparently said nothing to earn the penalty. Still, seeing a hockey coach getting kicked out of a game without throwing a bench or equipment on the ice is impressive.
For the Bruins, losing twice to the Hurricanes already this year is bad enough, but melting down completely like that on home ice is a brutal thing to be doing so early in the season. Just another night in Boston, eh? At least there’s no drama about beer and fried chicken tied into this one. Not yet anyhow.
Here are highlights of tonight’s game:
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)