Oct 18, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
The Bruins-Hurricanes game was certainly wild early on, but the Bruins’ feisty play only became more boneheaded as the night wore on in a 4-1 loss to Carolina. While Rich Peverley was able to cut Carolina’s lead to 2-1 in the third, the Bruins felt the need to motivate themselves even more by way of the fist.
Nathan Horton tried to engage Tim Gleason to no avail giving the Hurricanes a four-minute power play. Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic each found their way out of the game earning a 10-minute misconducts with under 10 minutes to play. Even the fans got a penalty for showering the ice with trash to protest the officials. Misconducts for everyone! It’s like Oprah Winfrey was wearing the stripes tonight.
The highlight (lowlight?) of this nonsense came when Bruins coach Claude Julien was tossed for the game for apparently yelling at officials as well. His game misconduct was tossed out after the game was over as he apparently said nothing to earn the penalty. Still, seeing a hockey coach getting kicked out of a game without throwing a bench or equipment on the ice is impressive.
For the Bruins, losing twice to the Hurricanes already this year is bad enough, but melting down completely like that on home ice is a brutal thing to be doing so early in the season. Just another night in Boston, eh? At least there’s no drama about beer and fried chicken tied into this one. Not yet anyhow.
Here are highlights of tonight’s game:
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 0
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 27
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (142)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)