Oct 18, 2011, 11:11 PM EST
The Bruins-Hurricanes game was certainly wild early on, but the Bruins’ feisty play only became more boneheaded as the night wore on in a 4-1 loss to Carolina. While Rich Peverley was able to cut Carolina’s lead to 2-1 in the third, the Bruins felt the need to motivate themselves even more by way of the fist.
Nathan Horton tried to engage Tim Gleason to no avail giving the Hurricanes a four-minute power play. Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic each found their way out of the game earning a 10-minute misconducts with under 10 minutes to play. Even the fans got a penalty for showering the ice with trash to protest the officials. Misconducts for everyone! It’s like Oprah Winfrey was wearing the stripes tonight.
The highlight (lowlight?) of this nonsense came when Bruins coach Claude Julien was tossed for the game for apparently yelling at officials as well. His game misconduct was tossed out after the game was over as he apparently said nothing to earn the penalty. Still, seeing a hockey coach getting kicked out of a game without throwing a bench or equipment on the ice is impressive.
For the Bruins, losing twice to the Hurricanes already this year is bad enough, but melting down completely like that on home ice is a brutal thing to be doing so early in the season. Just another night in Boston, eh? At least there’s no drama about beer and fried chicken tied into this one. Not yet anyhow.
Here are highlights of tonight’s game:
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 24
- Mike Richards clears waivers 29
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)