Oct 18, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
The Bruins-Hurricanes game was certainly wild early on, but the Bruins’ feisty play only became more boneheaded as the night wore on in a 4-1 loss to Carolina. While Rich Peverley was able to cut Carolina’s lead to 2-1 in the third, the Bruins felt the need to motivate themselves even more by way of the fist.
Nathan Horton tried to engage Tim Gleason to no avail giving the Hurricanes a four-minute power play. Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic each found their way out of the game earning a 10-minute misconducts with under 10 minutes to play. Even the fans got a penalty for showering the ice with trash to protest the officials. Misconducts for everyone! It’s like Oprah Winfrey was wearing the stripes tonight.
The highlight (lowlight?) of this nonsense came when Bruins coach Claude Julien was tossed for the game for apparently yelling at officials as well. His game misconduct was tossed out after the game was over as he apparently said nothing to earn the penalty. Still, seeing a hockey coach getting kicked out of a game without throwing a bench or equipment on the ice is impressive.
For the Bruins, losing twice to the Hurricanes already this year is bad enough, but melting down completely like that on home ice is a brutal thing to be doing so early in the season. Just another night in Boston, eh? At least there’s no drama about beer and fried chicken tied into this one. Not yet anyhow.
Here are highlights of tonight’s game:
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 1
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 2
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 5
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)