Oct 18, 2011, 11:11 PM EDT
The Bruins-Hurricanes game was certainly wild early on, but the Bruins’ feisty play only became more boneheaded as the night wore on in a 4-1 loss to Carolina. While Rich Peverley was able to cut Carolina’s lead to 2-1 in the third, the Bruins felt the need to motivate themselves even more by way of the fist.
Nathan Horton tried to engage Tim Gleason to no avail giving the Hurricanes a four-minute power play. Brad Marchand and Milan Lucic each found their way out of the game earning a 10-minute misconducts with under 10 minutes to play. Even the fans got a penalty for showering the ice with trash to protest the officials. Misconducts for everyone! It’s like Oprah Winfrey was wearing the stripes tonight.
The highlight (lowlight?) of this nonsense came when Bruins coach Claude Julien was tossed for the game for apparently yelling at officials as well. His game misconduct was tossed out after the game was over as he apparently said nothing to earn the penalty. Still, seeing a hockey coach getting kicked out of a game without throwing a bench or equipment on the ice is impressive.
For the Bruins, losing twice to the Hurricanes already this year is bad enough, but melting down completely like that on home ice is a brutal thing to be doing so early in the season. Just another night in Boston, eh? At least there’s no drama about beer and fried chicken tied into this one. Not yet anyhow.
Here are highlights of tonight’s game:
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 2
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 5
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 8
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 35
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)