Oct 18, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
The Penguins are already up to their ears in injury problems with Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Dustin Jeffrey, and Brooks Orpik out of action. You can throw Tyler Kennedy onto that list of guys dealing with health issues as he was held out of last night’s 2-1 loss to Winnipeg with what’s described as concussion-like symptoms.
His status for tonight’s game against Minnesota (7:30 p.m. ET on Versus) is in doubt and for Pittsburgh that’s a bad break to have right now. With those guys all out of action the pressure to score falls squarely on the shoulders of James Neal, Jordan Staal, and Chris Kunitz. The Penguins have been used to making up for guys being out of action, but every team has their limits for what they can do.
What’s making things harder is the number of games the Pens have had to start the year. Pittsburgh has already played in seven games this season and their eighth game is on the way tonight. Having so many games at the start of the year leaves a team to be more susceptible to injury and the Pens have fallen victim to that. Getting sent off to western Canada to start the year doesn’t help much either. It’s up to the Pens to hold down the fort for now lest they wind up falling back of the pack too early.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)