Oct 17, 2011, 11:12 AM EDT
Good thing Winnipeg hockey fans are still just happy to have the Jets back or they might be disappointed with the line-up the visiting Penguins will be icing tonight at the MTS Center. Pittsburgh will be without Evgeni Malkin (knee), Sidney Crosby (concussion), Brooks Orpik (abdomen) and Dustin Jeffrey (knee).
Fortunately for the Pens, James Neal is still healthy. The big left winger has five goals in six games, a “thank the lord” start after scoring just once in 20 games last season following a trade from Dallas.
“Like I keep saying, coming in with a fresh start, going through camp makes a big difference,” said Neal when asked how he’s managed to turn things around (apparently he’s been asked a few times already). “I had a good summer. I’m shooting the puck well, playing with some good players.”
As for the Jets, well, they’re…not good. Three games, three losses. Five goals scored, 18 against.
“If I look at the three games and the way they went . . . are we achieving to the level that I think we should be? The answer would be no, we are underachieving. We are way below the bar,” Winnipeg coach Claude Noel said Sunday. “Why is that? Why are you, an NHL player, playing like an American league player?”
Guaranteed Noel used that last line in the dressing room. “Why are you, an NHL player, playing like an American league player? BECAUSE THAT CAN BE ARRANGED.”
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 3
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 17
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)