Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
The Winnipeg Jets will be without Evander Kane tonight as they look for their first win of the season at home to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Winnipeg coach Claude Noel didn’t go into much detail this morning when asked about Kane’s injury.
“Can’t go there,” Noel said. “He blocked a shot (on Saturday).”
Kane’s absence won’t help a team that’s scored just five times in its first three games. (You know things are bad when Jim Slater is your top goal-scorer.)
Winnipeg’s power play has been particularly dreadful, with zero goals in 13 tries. The New York Rangers are the only other team that’s yet to score with the man advantage.
Captain Andrew Ladd, who led the club with 29 goals last season, thinks the Jets have to dumb it down before they can be successful.
“We need to keep it more simple and create offense from getting pucks deep and to the net,” said Ladd.
Defenseman Mark Stuart seconds that notion: “When you’re losing, I think it’s important to play a simple game, and that’s dumping pucks in and playing physical and winning races to pucks. As you press more and try to make plays, you’re going to turn it over in the neutral zone, and that’s going to hurt you even more. I think we need to concentrate on the simple game right now until we get out of this hole.”
So if you’re looking for a freewheeling hockey game tonight, you might want to avoid Jets-Pens.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)