Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets will be without Evander Kane tonight as they look for their first win of the season at home to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Winnipeg coach Claude Noel didn’t go into much detail this morning when asked about Kane’s injury.
“Can’t go there,” Noel said. “He blocked a shot (on Saturday).”
Kane’s absence won’t help a team that’s scored just five times in its first three games. (You know things are bad when Jim Slater is your top goal-scorer.)
Winnipeg’s power play has been particularly dreadful, with zero goals in 13 tries. The New York Rangers are the only other team that’s yet to score with the man advantage.
Captain Andrew Ladd, who led the club with 29 goals last season, thinks the Jets have to dumb it down before they can be successful.
“We need to keep it more simple and create offense from getting pucks deep and to the net,” said Ladd.
Defenseman Mark Stuart seconds that notion: “When you’re losing, I think it’s important to play a simple game, and that’s dumping pucks in and playing physical and winning races to pucks. As you press more and try to make plays, you’re going to turn it over in the neutral zone, and that’s going to hurt you even more. I think we need to concentrate on the simple game right now until we get out of this hole.”
So if you’re looking for a freewheeling hockey game tonight, you might want to avoid Jets-Pens.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)