Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets will be without Evander Kane tonight as they look for their first win of the season at home to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Winnipeg coach Claude Noel didn’t go into much detail this morning when asked about Kane’s injury.
“Can’t go there,” Noel said. “He blocked a shot (on Saturday).”
Kane’s absence won’t help a team that’s scored just five times in its first three games. (You know things are bad when Jim Slater is your top goal-scorer.)
Winnipeg’s power play has been particularly dreadful, with zero goals in 13 tries. The New York Rangers are the only other team that’s yet to score with the man advantage.
Captain Andrew Ladd, who led the club with 29 goals last season, thinks the Jets have to dumb it down before they can be successful.
“We need to keep it more simple and create offense from getting pucks deep and to the net,” said Ladd.
Defenseman Mark Stuart seconds that notion: “When you’re losing, I think it’s important to play a simple game, and that’s dumping pucks in and playing physical and winning races to pucks. As you press more and try to make plays, you’re going to turn it over in the neutral zone, and that’s going to hurt you even more. I think we need to concentrate on the simple game right now until we get out of this hole.”
So if you’re looking for a freewheeling hockey game tonight, you might want to avoid Jets-Pens.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)