Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets will be without Evander Kane tonight as they look for their first win of the season at home to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Winnipeg coach Claude Noel didn’t go into much detail this morning when asked about Kane’s injury.
“Can’t go there,” Noel said. “He blocked a shot (on Saturday).”
Kane’s absence won’t help a team that’s scored just five times in its first three games. (You know things are bad when Jim Slater is your top goal-scorer.)
Winnipeg’s power play has been particularly dreadful, with zero goals in 13 tries. The New York Rangers are the only other team that’s yet to score with the man advantage.
Captain Andrew Ladd, who led the club with 29 goals last season, thinks the Jets have to dumb it down before they can be successful.
“We need to keep it more simple and create offense from getting pucks deep and to the net,” said Ladd.
Defenseman Mark Stuart seconds that notion: “When you’re losing, I think it’s important to play a simple game, and that’s dumping pucks in and playing physical and winning races to pucks. As you press more and try to make plays, you’re going to turn it over in the neutral zone, and that’s going to hurt you even more. I think we need to concentrate on the simple game right now until we get out of this hole.”
So if you’re looking for a freewheeling hockey game tonight, you might want to avoid Jets-Pens.
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 0
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 34
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)