Oct 17, 2011, 7:06 PM EDT
Knock it off with all the penalties. That’s the message Flyers coach Peter Laviolette is sending his players as they prepare to face the Senators in Ottawa tomorrow.
Philadelphia dropped its first game of the season Saturday, losing in overtime to Los Angeles on – you guessed it – a Kings power-play goal.
Saturday’s defeat followed a 5-4 win over Vancouver in which the Flyers took five straight minors in the third period.
“The penalties put us in a jam two games ago, and we were able to win,” Laviolette said. “There’s not a lot that I didn’t like about our game against the Kings, except the penalties.
“If you break it down, if you put it in the simplest of terms, it cost us a point. That’s unacceptable. We’ve got to look at it and make sure we control that.”
Tim Panaccio of csnphilly.com notes the Flyers have spent 40:10 – more than two periods – on the penalty kill through just four games.
Of course, they’ve also spent 36:36 on the power play, so it’s not like they’re getting royally screwed by the referees. These things have a way of evening out. Except if you’re the Tampa Bay Lightning (39:17 shorthanded, 28:58 on the PP).
Regardless, Danny Briere knows the Flyers have to stop the parade of penalties, if only to maintain some semblance of rhythm.
“It takes away the flow of the game and it takes ice time away from a lot of players, too,’ Briere said. “When you’re sitting there, it’s tough to get back into the game. It disrupts the bench more than anything.”
Briere already has four penalties himself. But maybe some of them were coincidental minors for roughing?
No, they were not.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)