Oct 17, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
The story heading into Saturday’s Kings-Flyers game in Philadelphia was ex-Flyer Mike Richards returning to his old stomping ground.
The story two days later? How costly the game was for L.A.
Dan Arritt of ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that Dustin Penner, who threw down with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo in response to a hit on Drew Doughty, left the ice during practice on Monday because of a knee injury sustained in the fight.
So, the domino effect:
— Just 1:34 in, Rinaldo knocks Doughty out of the game.
— Penner fights Rinaldo, hurts knee, gets 17 minutes in penalties, Philly scores on ensuing PP.
— Doughty gets put on IR the next day (Sunday).
— Penner leaves practice on Monday to get knee examined.
Here’s the hit that caused all the ruckus, in case you missed it:
In the span of 48 hours, the Kings lost their $56 million blueliner and might’ve lost one of their biggest forwards. At the moment reports suggest it’s just a knee contusion and nothing more, but knowing Penner…let’s just say it’s worth monitoring. He fell completely out of Murray’s favor last season and missed this year’s season opener with a lower body injury. It’s not like Penner has solidified himself in L.A.’s top-six, either — so you’ve really got to wonder how this will play out, especially with Penner in a contract year.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (90)