Oct 17, 2011, 7:01 PM EST
The story heading into Saturday’s Kings-Flyers game in Philadelphia was ex-Flyer Mike Richards returning to his old stomping ground.
The story two days later? How costly the game was for L.A.
Dan Arritt of ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that Dustin Penner, who threw down with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo in response to a hit on Drew Doughty, left the ice during practice on Monday because of a knee injury sustained in the fight.
So, the domino effect:
— Just 1:34 in, Rinaldo knocks Doughty out of the game.
— Penner fights Rinaldo, hurts knee, gets 17 minutes in penalties, Philly scores on ensuing PP.
— Doughty gets put on IR the next day (Sunday).
— Penner leaves practice on Monday to get knee examined.
Here’s the hit that caused all the ruckus, in case you missed it:
In the span of 48 hours, the Kings lost their $56 million blueliner and might’ve lost one of their biggest forwards. At the moment reports suggest it’s just a knee contusion and nothing more, but knowing Penner…let’s just say it’s worth monitoring. He fell completely out of Murray’s favor last season and missed this year’s season opener with a lower body injury. It’s not like Penner has solidified himself in L.A.’s top-six, either — so you’ve really got to wonder how this will play out, especially with Penner in a contract year.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)