Oct 17, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
The story heading into Saturday’s Kings-Flyers game in Philadelphia was ex-Flyer Mike Richards returning to his old stomping ground.
The story two days later? How costly the game was for L.A.
Dan Arritt of ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that Dustin Penner, who threw down with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo in response to a hit on Drew Doughty, left the ice during practice on Monday because of a knee injury sustained in the fight.
So, the domino effect:
— Just 1:34 in, Rinaldo knocks Doughty out of the game.
— Penner fights Rinaldo, hurts knee, gets 17 minutes in penalties, Philly scores on ensuing PP.
— Doughty gets put on IR the next day (Sunday).
— Penner leaves practice on Monday to get knee examined.
Here’s the hit that caused all the ruckus, in case you missed it:
In the span of 48 hours, the Kings lost their $56 million blueliner and might’ve lost one of their biggest forwards. At the moment reports suggest it’s just a knee contusion and nothing more, but knowing Penner…let’s just say it’s worth monitoring. He fell completely out of Murray’s favor last season and missed this year’s season opener with a lower body injury. It’s not like Penner has solidified himself in L.A.’s top-six, either — so you’ve really got to wonder how this will play out, especially with Penner in a contract year.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 52
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5