Oct 17, 2011, 7:01 PM EDT
The story heading into Saturday’s Kings-Flyers game in Philadelphia was ex-Flyer Mike Richards returning to his old stomping ground.
The story two days later? How costly the game was for L.A.
Dan Arritt of ESPN Los Angeles is reporting that Dustin Penner, who threw down with Philly’s Zac Rinaldo in response to a hit on Drew Doughty, left the ice during practice on Monday because of a knee injury sustained in the fight.
So, the domino effect:
— Just 1:34 in, Rinaldo knocks Doughty out of the game.
— Penner fights Rinaldo, hurts knee, gets 17 minutes in penalties, Philly scores on ensuing PP.
— Doughty gets put on IR the next day (Sunday).
— Penner leaves practice on Monday to get knee examined.
Here’s the hit that caused all the ruckus, in case you missed it:
In the span of 48 hours, the Kings lost their $56 million blueliner and might’ve lost one of their biggest forwards. At the moment reports suggest it’s just a knee contusion and nothing more, but knowing Penner…let’s just say it’s worth monitoring. He fell completely out of Murray’s favor last season and missed this year’s season opener with a lower body injury. It’s not like Penner has solidified himself in L.A.’s top-six, either — so you’ve really got to wonder how this will play out, especially with Penner in a contract year.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)