Oct 17, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks should probably take note of thought No. 23 in Elliotte Friedman’s latest “30 thoughts” column.
23. Referees were also told to look for “headsnaps” — basically, players faking head contact to draw a penalty.
To illustrate what Friedman’s referring to, here’s video of Roberto Luongo snapping his head back against the Predators in last year’s playoffs. Nashville’s Jerred Smithson received a high-sticking minor on the play and Vancouver scored with the resultant man advantage.
Alex Burrows might have pulled that move a few times as well. Although in fairness, he could be one of those guys that doesn’t like anything getting close to his eyes. Gets all flinchy and stuff. Can’t blame him for that. It’s a psychological condition.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)