Oct 17, 2011, 11:51 AM EST
The Vancouver Canucks should probably take note of thought No. 23 in Elliotte Friedman’s latest “30 thoughts” column.
23. Referees were also told to look for “headsnaps” — basically, players faking head contact to draw a penalty.
To illustrate what Friedman’s referring to, here’s video of Roberto Luongo snapping his head back against the Predators in last year’s playoffs. Nashville’s Jerred Smithson received a high-sticking minor on the play and Vancouver scored with the resultant man advantage.
Alex Burrows might have pulled that move a few times as well. Although in fairness, he could be one of those guys that doesn’t like anything getting close to his eyes. Gets all flinchy and stuff. Can’t blame him for that. It’s a psychological condition.
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 56