Oct 17, 2011, 9:35 PM EST
Arron Asham has apologized for knocking Jay Beagle‘s face in and making a mockery of him for doing so. Asham’s showed contrition, sincere feelings, and looked like a human being for making an ugly fight look worse. There’s a few guys around the league that could learn from that.
Even after all that and more, Asham is worried that the referees around the league are going to type-cast him as the bad guy on the ice. Asham tells Paul Waldie of The Globe And Mail that he “doesn’t want his career to be defined by making a couple of stupid gestures” and that he “wishes he could take it back.”
Fortunately for Asham, he’s got a lot of bad deeds to do to wind up being the guy that catches the stink eye of the officials in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, having a couple of guys who might not get the benefit of the doubt in an intense situation creates a potentially hairy situation for the Penguins.
Yes, officials are meant to be impartial but it’s human nature to see a guy with a reputation out there when things are getting rough and not suspect they’ve had a role in problems. Asham’s apologetic nature over this situation should keep him clear of earning a bad reputation and potentially some bad calls. That kind of positive work after a bad situation goes a long way, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be watching to see how the rest of his season plays out.
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 13
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 19
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 1
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Montreal wins Vanek sweepstakes (Updated) 46
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)