Oct 17, 2011, 9:35 PM EST
Arron Asham has apologized for knocking Jay Beagle‘s face in and making a mockery of him for doing so. Asham’s showed contrition, sincere feelings, and looked like a human being for making an ugly fight look worse. There’s a few guys around the league that could learn from that.
Even after all that and more, Asham is worried that the referees around the league are going to type-cast him as the bad guy on the ice. Asham tells Paul Waldie of The Globe And Mail that he “doesn’t want his career to be defined by making a couple of stupid gestures” and that he “wishes he could take it back.”
Fortunately for Asham, he’s got a lot of bad deeds to do to wind up being the guy that catches the stink eye of the officials in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, having a couple of guys who might not get the benefit of the doubt in an intense situation creates a potentially hairy situation for the Penguins.
Yes, officials are meant to be impartial but it’s human nature to see a guy with a reputation out there when things are getting rough and not suspect they’ve had a role in problems. Asham’s apologetic nature over this situation should keep him clear of earning a bad reputation and potentially some bad calls. That kind of positive work after a bad situation goes a long way, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be watching to see how the rest of his season plays out.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)