Oct 17, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
Arron Asham has apologized for knocking Jay Beagle‘s face in and making a mockery of him for doing so. Asham’s showed contrition, sincere feelings, and looked like a human being for making an ugly fight look worse. There’s a few guys around the league that could learn from that.
Even after all that and more, Asham is worried that the referees around the league are going to type-cast him as the bad guy on the ice. Asham tells Paul Waldie of The Globe And Mail that he “doesn’t want his career to be defined by making a couple of stupid gestures” and that he “wishes he could take it back.”
Fortunately for Asham, he’s got a lot of bad deeds to do to wind up being the guy that catches the stink eye of the officials in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, having a couple of guys who might not get the benefit of the doubt in an intense situation creates a potentially hairy situation for the Penguins.
Yes, officials are meant to be impartial but it’s human nature to see a guy with a reputation out there when things are getting rough and not suspect they’ve had a role in problems. Asham’s apologetic nature over this situation should keep him clear of earning a bad reputation and potentially some bad calls. That kind of positive work after a bad situation goes a long way, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be watching to see how the rest of his season plays out.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)