Oct 17, 2011, 9:35 PM EDT
Arron Asham has apologized for knocking Jay Beagle‘s face in and making a mockery of him for doing so. Asham’s showed contrition, sincere feelings, and looked like a human being for making an ugly fight look worse. There’s a few guys around the league that could learn from that.
Even after all that and more, Asham is worried that the referees around the league are going to type-cast him as the bad guy on the ice. Asham tells Paul Waldie of The Globe And Mail that he “doesn’t want his career to be defined by making a couple of stupid gestures” and that he “wishes he could take it back.”
Fortunately for Asham, he’s got a lot of bad deeds to do to wind up being the guy that catches the stink eye of the officials in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately for Pittsburgh, having a couple of guys who might not get the benefit of the doubt in an intense situation creates a potentially hairy situation for the Penguins.
Yes, officials are meant to be impartial but it’s human nature to see a guy with a reputation out there when things are getting rough and not suspect they’ve had a role in problems. Asham’s apologetic nature over this situation should keep him clear of earning a bad reputation and potentially some bad calls. That kind of positive work after a bad situation goes a long way, but that doesn’t mean we won’t be watching to see how the rest of his season plays out.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)