Oct 17, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
All right we’re just a handful of games into the season and we’ve yet to see a goal scored by either of the NHL’s playing legends Jaromir Jagr or Teemu Selanne. Neither the Flyers nor Ducks are struggling without their offensive production but seeing Jagr’s offensive totals have just three assists and Selanne with just one assists (earned last night) you can’t help but feel a bit put off by that.
Fear not, friends and fans of legends, starting off a little slow is nothing new.
Last season, it took Selanne until his fourth game of the season to notch his first goal. It would be the first of 31 on the season for the 40 year-old future Hall-Of-Famer. In October last year, Selanne had six goals in all. After all, it was Selanne who was (jokingly) telling Ducks coach Randy Carlyle that “training camp was overrated” and who are we to argue?
In Jagr’s last NHL season in 2007-2008, he had just two goals in the first month of the season and it took him until the Rangers’ fifth game of the year to get his first. This time around and being four years older, Jagr is a bit wiser and his chances have been there already for the Flyers. But after a preseason that saw the goals come easy, getting that first one this time around is a bit trickier.
If you’re stressing about when these two studs are going to score again… Don’t. If there’s anything to worry about with Jagr or Selanne it’s their health, but both look strong so far this season. The goals will come just like they always do, just give those old timers a couple extra games to get rolling. You don’t rush greatness.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)