Oct 17, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
All right we’re just a handful of games into the season and we’ve yet to see a goal scored by either of the NHL’s playing legends Jaromir Jagr or Teemu Selanne. Neither the Flyers nor Ducks are struggling without their offensive production but seeing Jagr’s offensive totals have just three assists and Selanne with just one assists (earned last night) you can’t help but feel a bit put off by that.
Fear not, friends and fans of legends, starting off a little slow is nothing new.
Last season, it took Selanne until his fourth game of the season to notch his first goal. It would be the first of 31 on the season for the 40 year-old future Hall-Of-Famer. In October last year, Selanne had six goals in all. After all, it was Selanne who was (jokingly) telling Ducks coach Randy Carlyle that “training camp was overrated” and who are we to argue?
In Jagr’s last NHL season in 2007-2008, he had just two goals in the first month of the season and it took him until the Rangers’ fifth game of the year to get his first. This time around and being four years older, Jagr is a bit wiser and his chances have been there already for the Flyers. But after a preseason that saw the goals come easy, getting that first one this time around is a bit trickier.
If you’re stressing about when these two studs are going to score again… Don’t. If there’s anything to worry about with Jagr or Selanne it’s their health, but both look strong so far this season. The goals will come just like they always do, just give those old timers a couple extra games to get rolling. You don’t rush greatness.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 9
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)