Oct 17, 2011, 10:33 AM EDT
All right we’re just a handful of games into the season and we’ve yet to see a goal scored by either of the NHL’s playing legends Jaromir Jagr or Teemu Selanne. Neither the Flyers nor Ducks are struggling without their offensive production but seeing Jagr’s offensive totals have just three assists and Selanne with just one assists (earned last night) you can’t help but feel a bit put off by that.
Fear not, friends and fans of legends, starting off a little slow is nothing new.
Last season, it took Selanne until his fourth game of the season to notch his first goal. It would be the first of 31 on the season for the 40 year-old future Hall-Of-Famer. In October last year, Selanne had six goals in all. After all, it was Selanne who was (jokingly) telling Ducks coach Randy Carlyle that “training camp was overrated” and who are we to argue?
In Jagr’s last NHL season in 2007-2008, he had just two goals in the first month of the season and it took him until the Rangers’ fifth game of the year to get his first. This time around and being four years older, Jagr is a bit wiser and his chances have been there already for the Flyers. But after a preseason that saw the goals come easy, getting that first one this time around is a bit trickier.
If you’re stressing about when these two studs are going to score again… Don’t. If there’s anything to worry about with Jagr or Selanne it’s their health, but both look strong so far this season. The goals will come just like they always do, just give those old timers a couple extra games to get rolling. You don’t rush greatness.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (74)