Oct 17, 2011, 10:33 AM EST
All right we’re just a handful of games into the season and we’ve yet to see a goal scored by either of the NHL’s playing legends Jaromir Jagr or Teemu Selanne. Neither the Flyers nor Ducks are struggling without their offensive production but seeing Jagr’s offensive totals have just three assists and Selanne with just one assists (earned last night) you can’t help but feel a bit put off by that.
Fear not, friends and fans of legends, starting off a little slow is nothing new.
Last season, it took Selanne until his fourth game of the season to notch his first goal. It would be the first of 31 on the season for the 40 year-old future Hall-Of-Famer. In October last year, Selanne had six goals in all. After all, it was Selanne who was (jokingly) telling Ducks coach Randy Carlyle that “training camp was overrated” and who are we to argue?
In Jagr’s last NHL season in 2007-2008, he had just two goals in the first month of the season and it took him until the Rangers’ fifth game of the year to get his first. This time around and being four years older, Jagr is a bit wiser and his chances have been there already for the Flyers. But after a preseason that saw the goals come easy, getting that first one this time around is a bit trickier.
If you’re stressing about when these two studs are going to score again… Don’t. If there’s anything to worry about with Jagr or Selanne it’s their health, but both look strong so far this season. The goals will come just like they always do, just give those old timers a couple extra games to get rolling. You don’t rush greatness.
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)