Oct 16, 2011, 2:05 PM EST
There are some truths in life, some of which we don’t like. Death and taxes rank up there and so does the news of Ales Hemsky being injured. The Edmonton Sun reports Hemsky will miss the next two weeks with a strained shoulder and for Hemsky that’s especially rough news considering his constant health issues.
The young Oilers are off to an average start going 1-1-1 off the get-go and while it’s been Ryan Nugent-Hopkins providing the bulk of the offense, not having Hemsky to provide at least a little bit of veteran skill to go along with the rest of the young stable of talent hurts. When he’s healthy Hemsky is a slick skating scorer. Of course making sure he’s healthy proves difficult enough.
Hemsky has spent the previous two seasons spending more time on the shelf than on the ice and at this point, he’s a guy the Oilers have to keep in mind less as a go-to player and more as a guy that they’re lucky to have on the ice when he’s healthy. While he’s a top level scorer, banking on him to help lead the Oilers revolution would be foolish at this point.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 32
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)