Oct 16, 2011, 4:33 PM EDT
Oliver Ekman-Larsson is off to a big start for the Coyotes this year. With three goals in the team’s first four games, Ekman-Larsson is showing that persevering is one of his better traits. Kyle Turris should be taking notes.
Last season, Ekman-Larsson spent most of the year as a healthy scratch playing in 48 games with the Coyotes and piling up just 11 points and just one goal. While other players worked their way into coach Dave Tippett’s lineup, Ekman-Larsson practiced and worked out but couldn’t crack the lineup. That kind of development can make a young player frustrated, especially in their first NHL season.
This time around, Ekman-Larsson is showing his offensive skills and proving he belongs on the ice more often as an offensive spark plug for a team that desperately needs it. One year of struggling to fit in and an offseason of working harder so far looks like it’s paying off for Ekman-Larsson and it’s providing the kind of example that should be set for unsigned restricted free agent Kyle Turris.
Turris too has struggled under Dave Tippett and is reportedly frustrated with how he’s been used and played in Phoenix. With the kind of breakout that Ekman-Larsson is having this year, it’s showing Turris that sometimes resting on your laurels and banking on your talent won’t cut it enough in some places.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)