Oct 16, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
Drew Doughty getting knocked out of action against Philly last night came with repercussions for the Kings as they’ve put their superstar defenseman on injured reserve. In his stead, training camp all star Slava Voynov was called up to take his spot in the lineup for the time being.
The Kings losing Doughty to what they’re calling an “upper body injury” thanks to a hit by Philly’s Zac Rinaldo is a kick in the pants after going late into training camp just getting Doughty signed to a new deal. Now that they’re going without him for the next 7-10 days or so, it’ll be up to Voynov to keep things rolling along.
Voynov impressed in training camp with his offensive skills on the blue line, but expecting him to be an apt replacement for Doughty is asking a bit much… Even if that was the Kings’ backup plan if they couldn’t get Doughty signed in time for the regular season. Through the Kings’ first four games, Doughty has just one assist but his presence is tough to replace aptly as he’s averaged over 21 minutes a game in ice time.
It’s a minor issue right now for Doughty, but for the Kings being off to a hot start this season and Doughty having missed so much time in training camp, having that progress interrupted again is less than ideal for L.A.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)