Oct 16, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
Drew Doughty getting knocked out of action against Philly last night came with repercussions for the Kings as they’ve put their superstar defenseman on injured reserve. In his stead, training camp all star Slava Voynov was called up to take his spot in the lineup for the time being.
The Kings losing Doughty to what they’re calling an “upper body injury” thanks to a hit by Philly’s Zac Rinaldo is a kick in the pants after going late into training camp just getting Doughty signed to a new deal. Now that they’re going without him for the next 7-10 days or so, it’ll be up to Voynov to keep things rolling along.
Voynov impressed in training camp with his offensive skills on the blue line, but expecting him to be an apt replacement for Doughty is asking a bit much… Even if that was the Kings’ backup plan if they couldn’t get Doughty signed in time for the regular season. Through the Kings’ first four games, Doughty has just one assist but his presence is tough to replace aptly as he’s averaged over 21 minutes a game in ice time.
It’s a minor issue right now for Doughty, but for the Kings being off to a hot start this season and Doughty having missed so much time in training camp, having that progress interrupted again is less than ideal for L.A.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 59
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination