Oct 16, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
Drew Doughty getting knocked out of action against Philly last night came with repercussions for the Kings as they’ve put their superstar defenseman on injured reserve. In his stead, training camp all star Slava Voynov was called up to take his spot in the lineup for the time being.
The Kings losing Doughty to what they’re calling an “upper body injury” thanks to a hit by Philly’s Zac Rinaldo is a kick in the pants after going late into training camp just getting Doughty signed to a new deal. Now that they’re going without him for the next 7-10 days or so, it’ll be up to Voynov to keep things rolling along.
Voynov impressed in training camp with his offensive skills on the blue line, but expecting him to be an apt replacement for Doughty is asking a bit much… Even if that was the Kings’ backup plan if they couldn’t get Doughty signed in time for the regular season. Through the Kings’ first four games, Doughty has just one assist but his presence is tough to replace aptly as he’s averaged over 21 minutes a game in ice time.
It’s a minor issue right now for Doughty, but for the Kings being off to a hot start this season and Doughty having missed so much time in training camp, having that progress interrupted again is less than ideal for L.A.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 13
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 87
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)