Oct 16, 2011, 5:57 PM EDT
Drew Doughty getting knocked out of action against Philly last night came with repercussions for the Kings as they’ve put their superstar defenseman on injured reserve. In his stead, training camp all star Slava Voynov was called up to take his spot in the lineup for the time being.
The Kings losing Doughty to what they’re calling an “upper body injury” thanks to a hit by Philly’s Zac Rinaldo is a kick in the pants after going late into training camp just getting Doughty signed to a new deal. Now that they’re going without him for the next 7-10 days or so, it’ll be up to Voynov to keep things rolling along.
Voynov impressed in training camp with his offensive skills on the blue line, but expecting him to be an apt replacement for Doughty is asking a bit much… Even if that was the Kings’ backup plan if they couldn’t get Doughty signed in time for the regular season. Through the Kings’ first four games, Doughty has just one assist but his presence is tough to replace aptly as he’s averaged over 21 minutes a game in ice time.
It’s a minor issue right now for Doughty, but for the Kings being off to a hot start this season and Doughty having missed so much time in training camp, having that progress interrupted again is less than ideal for L.A.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)