Oct 16, 2011, 5:57 PM EST
Drew Doughty getting knocked out of action against Philly last night came with repercussions for the Kings as they’ve put their superstar defenseman on injured reserve. In his stead, training camp all star Slava Voynov was called up to take his spot in the lineup for the time being.
The Kings losing Doughty to what they’re calling an “upper body injury” thanks to a hit by Philly’s Zac Rinaldo is a kick in the pants after going late into training camp just getting Doughty signed to a new deal. Now that they’re going without him for the next 7-10 days or so, it’ll be up to Voynov to keep things rolling along.
Voynov impressed in training camp with his offensive skills on the blue line, but expecting him to be an apt replacement for Doughty is asking a bit much… Even if that was the Kings’ backup plan if they couldn’t get Doughty signed in time for the regular season. Through the Kings’ first four games, Doughty has just one assist but his presence is tough to replace aptly as he’s averaged over 21 minutes a game in ice time.
It’s a minor issue right now for Doughty, but for the Kings being off to a hot start this season and Doughty having missed so much time in training camp, having that progress interrupted again is less than ideal for L.A.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54