Oct 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
Most people figured John Tavares would be a pretty good pro when he was drafted first overall by the Islanders in 2009. The progression he made from his first season to his second season showed that he was growing into being one of the top playmakers and scorers in the league.
So far, the start of his third season is showing that he’ll be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Through the first four games of his season, Tavares has five goals and three assists and finds himself atop the NHL leaderboard for points scored and goals. After back-to-back four point nights against the Lightning and Rangers, including earning a hat trick against the hated Rangers, Tavares is showing everyone the talent he’s got to be one of the best in the game.
After all the debate in 2009 for Garth Snow and the Isles as to who to take first overall, be it Tavares, Victor Hedman, or Matt Duchene, it’s Tavares that’s seeing his star rise the fastest this season. With the future looking bright on Long Island and Tavares locked up for the future, the time is now for Tavares to show just why he was worthy of the top pick and help lead the Islanders on a hunt for the playoffs this year.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 4
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 71
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (71)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)