Oct 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Most people figured John Tavares would be a pretty good pro when he was drafted first overall by the Islanders in 2009. The progression he made from his first season to his second season showed that he was growing into being one of the top playmakers and scorers in the league.
So far, the start of his third season is showing that he’ll be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Through the first four games of his season, Tavares has five goals and three assists and finds himself atop the NHL leaderboard for points scored and goals. After back-to-back four point nights against the Lightning and Rangers, including earning a hat trick against the hated Rangers, Tavares is showing everyone the talent he’s got to be one of the best in the game.
After all the debate in 2009 for Garth Snow and the Isles as to who to take first overall, be it Tavares, Victor Hedman, or Matt Duchene, it’s Tavares that’s seeing his star rise the fastest this season. With the future looking bright on Long Island and Tavares locked up for the future, the time is now for Tavares to show just why he was worthy of the top pick and help lead the Islanders on a hunt for the playoffs this year.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)