Oct 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Most people figured John Tavares would be a pretty good pro when he was drafted first overall by the Islanders in 2009. The progression he made from his first season to his second season showed that he was growing into being one of the top playmakers and scorers in the league.
So far, the start of his third season is showing that he’ll be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Through the first four games of his season, Tavares has five goals and three assists and finds himself atop the NHL leaderboard for points scored and goals. After back-to-back four point nights against the Lightning and Rangers, including earning a hat trick against the hated Rangers, Tavares is showing everyone the talent he’s got to be one of the best in the game.
After all the debate in 2009 for Garth Snow and the Isles as to who to take first overall, be it Tavares, Victor Hedman, or Matt Duchene, it’s Tavares that’s seeing his star rise the fastest this season. With the future looking bright on Long Island and Tavares locked up for the future, the time is now for Tavares to show just why he was worthy of the top pick and help lead the Islanders on a hunt for the playoffs this year.
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 3
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 83
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 38
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 71
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 62
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7