Oct 16, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT
Most people figured John Tavares would be a pretty good pro when he was drafted first overall by the Islanders in 2009. The progression he made from his first season to his second season showed that he was growing into being one of the top playmakers and scorers in the league.
So far, the start of his third season is showing that he’ll be a force to be reckoned with this year.
Through the first four games of his season, Tavares has five goals and three assists and finds himself atop the NHL leaderboard for points scored and goals. After back-to-back four point nights against the Lightning and Rangers, including earning a hat trick against the hated Rangers, Tavares is showing everyone the talent he’s got to be one of the best in the game.
After all the debate in 2009 for Garth Snow and the Isles as to who to take first overall, be it Tavares, Victor Hedman, or Matt Duchene, it’s Tavares that’s seeing his star rise the fastest this season. With the future looking bright on Long Island and Tavares locked up for the future, the time is now for Tavares to show just why he was worthy of the top pick and help lead the Islanders on a hunt for the playoffs this year.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)