Oct 16, 2011, 4:59 PM EST
The Sharks starting their season 1-2-0 is a disappointment for San Jose and while doing that with Thomas Greiss in goal and not Antti Niemi should be a reason to give them credit. After all, having Greiss lose a game 1-0 is more on the offense than anything, but fortunately for the Sharks, they’re getting Niemi back just in time.
David Pollak of Working The Corners reports that Niemi should be back for the Sharks on Monday night if all things go well and for San Jose, that means their band is virtually all back together. San Jose will be waiting on Martin Havlat to return to action and for a Sharks team with Stanley Cup aspirations, having the whole gang together means we’ll get to really see what they can do.
While Greiss has done reasonably well filling in for both Niemi and injured Antero Niittymaki, he’s not exactly the long-term solution San Jose wants in goal. Getting Niemi back in action is just what the Sharks need to help their defense settle in better. Now if their offense can score like they’re playing the Coyotes every night, they’ll be in business.
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 7
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 7
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 19
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 34
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)