Oct 16, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT
The Sharks starting their season 1-2-0 is a disappointment for San Jose and while doing that with Thomas Greiss in goal and not Antti Niemi should be a reason to give them credit. After all, having Greiss lose a game 1-0 is more on the offense than anything, but fortunately for the Sharks, they’re getting Niemi back just in time.
David Pollak of Working The Corners reports that Niemi should be back for the Sharks on Monday night if all things go well and for San Jose, that means their band is virtually all back together. San Jose will be waiting on Martin Havlat to return to action and for a Sharks team with Stanley Cup aspirations, having the whole gang together means we’ll get to really see what they can do.
While Greiss has done reasonably well filling in for both Niemi and injured Antero Niittymaki, he’s not exactly the long-term solution San Jose wants in goal. Getting Niemi back in action is just what the Sharks need to help their defense settle in better. Now if their offense can score like they’re playing the Coyotes every night, they’ll be in business.
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 1
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 38
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 47
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 54
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)