Oct 16, 2011, 4:59 PM EST
The Sharks starting their season 1-2-0 is a disappointment for San Jose and while doing that with Thomas Greiss in goal and not Antti Niemi should be a reason to give them credit. After all, having Greiss lose a game 1-0 is more on the offense than anything, but fortunately for the Sharks, they’re getting Niemi back just in time.
David Pollak of Working The Corners reports that Niemi should be back for the Sharks on Monday night if all things go well and for San Jose, that means their band is virtually all back together. San Jose will be waiting on Martin Havlat to return to action and for a Sharks team with Stanley Cup aspirations, having the whole gang together means we’ll get to really see what they can do.
While Greiss has done reasonably well filling in for both Niemi and injured Antero Niittymaki, he’s not exactly the long-term solution San Jose wants in goal. Getting Niemi back in action is just what the Sharks need to help their defense settle in better. Now if their offense can score like they’re playing the Coyotes every night, they’ll be in business.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 12