Oct 16, 2011, 4:59 PM EDT
The Sharks starting their season 1-2-0 is a disappointment for San Jose and while doing that with Thomas Greiss in goal and not Antti Niemi should be a reason to give them credit. After all, having Greiss lose a game 1-0 is more on the offense than anything, but fortunately for the Sharks, they’re getting Niemi back just in time.
David Pollak of Working The Corners reports that Niemi should be back for the Sharks on Monday night if all things go well and for San Jose, that means their band is virtually all back together. San Jose will be waiting on Martin Havlat to return to action and for a Sharks team with Stanley Cup aspirations, having the whole gang together means we’ll get to really see what they can do.
While Greiss has done reasonably well filling in for both Niemi and injured Antero Niittymaki, he’s not exactly the long-term solution San Jose wants in goal. Getting Niemi back in action is just what the Sharks need to help their defense settle in better. Now if their offense can score like they’re playing the Coyotes every night, they’ll be in business.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)