Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers raised some eyebrows when they decided to include netminder Jacob Markstrom on their opening game roster in place of the injured Scott Clemmensen. Jose Theodore was expected to start in the bulk of the Panthers games early on, especially given the spaced out nature of their October contests, so why keep your goaltender of the future on the team if he’s just going to warm the bench? Wouldn’t it be better to have him playing regularly in the minors?
So far the Panthers have done nothing to alleviate those concerns. Jose Theodore has predictably started in both of Florida’s first two contests and he’ll get the nod again on Saturday. However, as the Miami Herald reported, at least the Panthers might use Markstrom in one half of their only October set of two games in as many nights. That means Markstrom could record his first NHL start on Monday against Tampa Bay or Tuesday versus Washington. Either one would be a rough opponent for his first contest, but hey, at least it would be a start.
Clemmensen is expected to return in late October, so this might be the only opportunity Markstrom gets to play between the pipes before he returns to the minors.
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 6
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (59)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)