Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 AM EDT
The Florida Panthers raised some eyebrows when they decided to include netminder Jacob Markstrom on their opening game roster in place of the injured Scott Clemmensen. Jose Theodore was expected to start in the bulk of the Panthers games early on, especially given the spaced out nature of their October contests, so why keep your goaltender of the future on the team if he’s just going to warm the bench? Wouldn’t it be better to have him playing regularly in the minors?
So far the Panthers have done nothing to alleviate those concerns. Jose Theodore has predictably started in both of Florida’s first two contests and he’ll get the nod again on Saturday. However, as the Miami Herald reported, at least the Panthers might use Markstrom in one half of their only October set of two games in as many nights. That means Markstrom could record his first NHL start on Monday against Tampa Bay or Tuesday versus Washington. Either one would be a rough opponent for his first contest, but hey, at least it would be a start.
Clemmensen is expected to return in late October, so this might be the only opportunity Markstrom gets to play between the pipes before he returns to the minors.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)