Oct 15, 2011, 11:30 AM EST
The Florida Panthers raised some eyebrows when they decided to include netminder Jacob Markstrom on their opening game roster in place of the injured Scott Clemmensen. Jose Theodore was expected to start in the bulk of the Panthers games early on, especially given the spaced out nature of their October contests, so why keep your goaltender of the future on the team if he’s just going to warm the bench? Wouldn’t it be better to have him playing regularly in the minors?
So far the Panthers have done nothing to alleviate those concerns. Jose Theodore has predictably started in both of Florida’s first two contests and he’ll get the nod again on Saturday. However, as the Miami Herald reported, at least the Panthers might use Markstrom in one half of their only October set of two games in as many nights. That means Markstrom could record his first NHL start on Monday against Tampa Bay or Tuesday versus Washington. Either one would be a rough opponent for his first contest, but hey, at least it would be a start.
Clemmensen is expected to return in late October, so this might be the only opportunity Markstrom gets to play between the pipes before he returns to the minors.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)