Oct 15, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
We all know that even the mildest cold streaks are magnified during the first couple weeks of the season, but who would have thought that, with a single assist, tough guy George Parros would have more points than Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and the recently injured Jason Blake.
As a team, the Ducks have scored just three goals this season, not including Bobby Ryan’s game-winning shootout goal. Thanks to their strong defense and Jonas Hiller’s ability to bounce back from the vertigo symptoms that plagued him last season, the Ducks have a 2-1-0 record despite their top two lines quiet start. However, as Ducks coach Randy Carlyle recently told the Orange County Register, this is still a problem:
You have to play defense to win in sports. It’s not just offense. But you do have to be able to provide offense. What’s particularly concerning for us (is) that we’re not getting enough offense.
The silver lining is that the Ducks top line of Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry was able to produce scoring chances in Friday’s 1-0 victory over San Jose, they just failed to convert. The trio are arguably the most dangerous line in the NHL and they can’t be kept down or stay unlucky forever. Things should return to normal in Anaheim, even if their first three games have been anything but business as usual.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 17
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 55
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control