Oct 15, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
We all know that even the mildest cold streaks are magnified during the first couple weeks of the season, but who would have thought that, with a single assist, tough guy George Parros would have more points than Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and the recently injured Jason Blake.
As a team, the Ducks have scored just three goals this season, not including Bobby Ryan’s game-winning shootout goal. Thanks to their strong defense and Jonas Hiller’s ability to bounce back from the vertigo symptoms that plagued him last season, the Ducks have a 2-1-0 record despite their top two lines quiet start. However, as Ducks coach Randy Carlyle recently told the Orange County Register, this is still a problem:
You have to play defense to win in sports. It’s not just offense. But you do have to be able to provide offense. What’s particularly concerning for us (is) that we’re not getting enough offense.
The silver lining is that the Ducks top line of Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry was able to produce scoring chances in Friday’s 1-0 victory over San Jose, they just failed to convert. The trio are arguably the most dangerous line in the NHL and they can’t be kept down or stay unlucky forever. Things should return to normal in Anaheim, even if their first three games have been anything but business as usual.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)