Oct 15, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
We all know that even the mildest cold streaks are magnified during the first couple weeks of the season, but who would have thought that, with a single assist, tough guy George Parros would have more points than Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and the recently injured Jason Blake.
As a team, the Ducks have scored just three goals this season, not including Bobby Ryan’s game-winning shootout goal. Thanks to their strong defense and Jonas Hiller’s ability to bounce back from the vertigo symptoms that plagued him last season, the Ducks have a 2-1-0 record despite their top two lines quiet start. However, as Ducks coach Randy Carlyle recently told the Orange County Register, this is still a problem:
You have to play defense to win in sports. It’s not just offense. But you do have to be able to provide offense. What’s particularly concerning for us (is) that we’re not getting enough offense.
The silver lining is that the Ducks top line of Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry was able to produce scoring chances in Friday’s 1-0 victory over San Jose, they just failed to convert. The trio are arguably the most dangerous line in the NHL and they can’t be kept down or stay unlucky forever. Things should return to normal in Anaheim, even if their first three games have been anything but business as usual.
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 56
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 26
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 45
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 31
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (61)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)