Oct 15, 2011, 9:15 AM EDT
We all know that even the mildest cold streaks are magnified during the first couple weeks of the season, but who would have thought that, with a single assist, tough guy George Parros would have more points than Corey Perry, Bobby Ryan, Ryan Getzlaf, Teemu Selanne, Saku Koivu, and the recently injured Jason Blake.
As a team, the Ducks have scored just three goals this season, not including Bobby Ryan’s game-winning shootout goal. Thanks to their strong defense and Jonas Hiller’s ability to bounce back from the vertigo symptoms that plagued him last season, the Ducks have a 2-1-0 record despite their top two lines quiet start. However, as Ducks coach Randy Carlyle recently told the Orange County Register, this is still a problem:
You have to play defense to win in sports. It’s not just offense. But you do have to be able to provide offense. What’s particularly concerning for us (is) that we’re not getting enough offense.
The silver lining is that the Ducks top line of Ryan, Getzlaf, and Perry was able to produce scoring chances in Friday’s 1-0 victory over San Jose, they just failed to convert. The trio are arguably the most dangerous line in the NHL and they can’t be kept down or stay unlucky forever. Things should return to normal in Anaheim, even if their first three games have been anything but business as usual.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)