Oct 15, 2011, 4:51 PM EDT
Shane Doan is just one goal shy of 300 despite the fact that, as the NHL.com points out, he’s never gotten a hat trick in his career. Just how odd is that? Well, if he reaches the 300 career goal milestone without getting a hat trick, he and Scott Mellanby will be the only players in NHL history to pull off that feat. Which raises the question: if he gets a hat trick in the same game that he scores his 300th goal, does the record still count?
“Now it’s to the point where if I get a hat trick, I might wind up losing a record, right?” Doan mused. “It’s weird, and it really used to bother me. Going back 100 or 150 goals, I would get two and I was thinking, ‘Hey, this is awful, why can’t I get a hat trick?’ Now, it’s more fun to be unique.”
If he likes being unique, then he should appreciate how weird it is that he might get his 300th career goal in his first game against the new Winnipeg Jets. Doan was drafted in 1995 by the original Winnipeg Jets and stuck with the franchise when they relocated to Phoenix. The new Jets will take on the former Jets in the Coyotes’ home opener on Saturday.
- Video: Bruins, Hawks combine for five goals in 11 minutes during wild second period 0
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 61
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 21
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 23
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming