Oct 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EST
Alexandre Giroux has found a niche for himself as one of the AHL’s greatest scorers. He’s had to, because despite the fact that he scored 60 goals in 69 AHL games in 2008-09, he hasn’t been able to hold down a job in the NHL. Giroux is 30 now and he’s only played in 39 NHL games and, for the most part, he hasn’t gotten much ice time during his brief stints with the New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, and Edmonton Oilers.
That might change on Saturday as the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets have called up Giroux with the intention of using him on their second line against the Dallas Stars. Along with Antoine Vermette and R.J. Umberger, the trio will try to provide the Blue Jackets with some secondary scoring behind the very effective Vinny Prospal, Jeff Carter, and Rick Nash line.
Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel certainly sounded like a man who believes in Giroux when he talked to the Columbus Dispatch:
Having that size on the wing is going to probably help us. It’s going to help us around the net. Alex doesn’t need many chances to score goals. He’s proven that.
At the AHL level, yes, but he still needs to prove that he can find ways to score against NHL caliber defenses and goaltenders. Still, the Blue Jackets need to shake things up a little after getting off to a 0-3-1 start and maybe Giroux will take advantage of what could be his last good chance to stay in the NHL.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)