Oct 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Alexandre Giroux has found a niche for himself as one of the AHL’s greatest scorers. He’s had to, because despite the fact that he scored 60 goals in 69 AHL games in 2008-09, he hasn’t been able to hold down a job in the NHL. Giroux is 30 now and he’s only played in 39 NHL games and, for the most part, he hasn’t gotten much ice time during his brief stints with the New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, and Edmonton Oilers.
That might change on Saturday as the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets have called up Giroux with the intention of using him on their second line against the Dallas Stars. Along with Antoine Vermette and R.J. Umberger, the trio will try to provide the Blue Jackets with some secondary scoring behind the very effective Vinny Prospal, Jeff Carter, and Rick Nash line.
Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel certainly sounded like a man who believes in Giroux when he talked to the Columbus Dispatch:
Having that size on the wing is going to probably help us. It’s going to help us around the net. Alex doesn’t need many chances to score goals. He’s proven that.
At the AHL level, yes, but he still needs to prove that he can find ways to score against NHL caliber defenses and goaltenders. Still, the Blue Jackets need to shake things up a little after getting off to a 0-3-1 start and maybe Giroux will take advantage of what could be his last good chance to stay in the NHL.
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 8
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 17
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 31
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch live coverage of Penguins-Senators
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles