Oct 15, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Alexandre Giroux has found a niche for himself as one of the AHL’s greatest scorers. He’s had to, because despite the fact that he scored 60 goals in 69 AHL games in 2008-09, he hasn’t been able to hold down a job in the NHL. Giroux is 30 now and he’s only played in 39 NHL games and, for the most part, he hasn’t gotten much ice time during his brief stints with the New York Rangers, Washington Capitals, and Edmonton Oilers.
That might change on Saturday as the struggling Columbus Blue Jackets have called up Giroux with the intention of using him on their second line against the Dallas Stars. Along with Antoine Vermette and R.J. Umberger, the trio will try to provide the Blue Jackets with some secondary scoring behind the very effective Vinny Prospal, Jeff Carter, and Rick Nash line.
Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel certainly sounded like a man who believes in Giroux when he talked to the Columbus Dispatch:
Having that size on the wing is going to probably help us. It’s going to help us around the net. Alex doesn’t need many chances to score goals. He’s proven that.
At the AHL level, yes, but he still needs to prove that he can find ways to score against NHL caliber defenses and goaltenders. Still, the Blue Jackets need to shake things up a little after getting off to a 0-3-1 start and maybe Giroux will take advantage of what could be his last good chance to stay in the NHL.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 5
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 23
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 98
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)