Oct 15, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
According to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera, the Washington Capitals have called up goaltender Dany Sabourin to warm the bench on Saturday, which is a good indication of how far along Michal Neuvirth is in his recovery from a lower body injury. Neuvirth has missed four straight days of practice, although he was on the ice after the Capitals practice to take some shots.
Fortunately, Tomas Vokoun has led the Capitals to back-to-back overtime wins in Neuvirth’s absence and he’ll be in a good position to bring his record up to 3-0-0 against the lowly Ottawa Senators. Vokoun and Neuvirth entered the season in a fierce battle for the number one job with the Washington Capitals and Neuvirth’s injury has allowed Vokoun to start in a string of games.
If Neuvirth is able to return in the near future, then the damage to his standing with the Capitals will be minimal. Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau hasn’t seemed overly worried about Neuvirth’s health to this point, but the longer this drags on, the more opportunities Vokoun will have to set himself apart.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 29
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 37
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 17
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (39)