Oct 15, 2011, 10:07 AM EST
According to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera, the Washington Capitals have called up goaltender Dany Sabourin to warm the bench on Saturday, which is a good indication of how far along Michal Neuvirth is in his recovery from a lower body injury. Neuvirth has missed four straight days of practice, although he was on the ice after the Capitals practice to take some shots.
Fortunately, Tomas Vokoun has led the Capitals to back-to-back overtime wins in Neuvirth’s absence and he’ll be in a good position to bring his record up to 3-0-0 against the lowly Ottawa Senators. Vokoun and Neuvirth entered the season in a fierce battle for the number one job with the Washington Capitals and Neuvirth’s injury has allowed Vokoun to start in a string of games.
If Neuvirth is able to return in the near future, then the damage to his standing with the Capitals will be minimal. Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau hasn’t seemed overly worried about Neuvirth’s health to this point, but the longer this drags on, the more opportunities Vokoun will have to set himself apart.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 8
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)