Oct 15, 2011, 10:07 AM EDT
According to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera, the Washington Capitals have called up goaltender Dany Sabourin to warm the bench on Saturday, which is a good indication of how far along Michal Neuvirth is in his recovery from a lower body injury. Neuvirth has missed four straight days of practice, although he was on the ice after the Capitals practice to take some shots.
Fortunately, Tomas Vokoun has led the Capitals to back-to-back overtime wins in Neuvirth’s absence and he’ll be in a good position to bring his record up to 3-0-0 against the lowly Ottawa Senators. Vokoun and Neuvirth entered the season in a fierce battle for the number one job with the Washington Capitals and Neuvirth’s injury has allowed Vokoun to start in a string of games.
If Neuvirth is able to return in the near future, then the damage to his standing with the Capitals will be minimal. Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau hasn’t seemed overly worried about Neuvirth’s health to this point, but the longer this drags on, the more opportunities Vokoun will have to set himself apart.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)