Oct 15, 2011, 2:47 AM EDT
The Ducks opened their North American schedule with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over the rival San Jose Sharks in front of a charged atmosphere in Anaheim. But the excitement of a big, early season victory for the team was short lived as head coach Randy Carlyle announced that forward Jason Blake was headed to the hospital with a “severe” cut on his left forearm. Initial reports say he’ll need “many sutures” tonight and doctors are currently examining the Ducks’ forward to figure out what to do next.
The cut occurred about halfway through the 3rd period of Friday night’s game. Here’s how the play cut occurred:
“Blake fell down near San Jose defenseman Brent Burns while attempting to play the puck moments after a faceoff, and Burns’ right skate appeared to cut Blake accidentally. Blake immediately raised his arm and skated off the ice.”
Here’s a link to video of the play.
Blake was forced to leave the arena on a stretcher that kept his arm upright.
Blake has been playing on the Ducks “old man” line alongside fellow veterans Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne. He had 16 goals and 32 points in 76 games last season for the Ducks and has averaged 14:27 in ice time through the first three games of this season. He isn’t the first NHLer to be cut by a skate this year either. Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri was cut in a game against the Winnipeg Jets this weekend and is expected to miss a couple of weeks.
Unfortunately, this injury looks like it could be much more serious. We’ll have more updates as they become available tomorrow.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Must-win Game 3 at MSG
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3