Oct 15, 2011, 2:47 AM EST
The Ducks opened their North American schedule with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over the rival San Jose Sharks in front of a charged atmosphere in Anaheim. But the excitement of a big, early season victory for the team was short lived as head coach Randy Carlyle announced that forward Jason Blake was headed to the hospital with a “severe” cut on his left forearm. Initial reports say he’ll need “many sutures” tonight and doctors are currently examining the Ducks’ forward to figure out what to do next.
The cut occurred about halfway through the 3rd period of Friday night’s game. Here’s how the play cut occurred:
“Blake fell down near San Jose defenseman Brent Burns while attempting to play the puck moments after a faceoff, and Burns’ right skate appeared to cut Blake accidentally. Blake immediately raised his arm and skated off the ice.”
Here’s a link to video of the play.
Blake was forced to leave the arena on a stretcher that kept his arm upright.
Blake has been playing on the Ducks “old man” line alongside fellow veterans Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne. He had 16 goals and 32 points in 76 games last season for the Ducks and has averaged 14:27 in ice time through the first three games of this season. He isn’t the first NHLer to be cut by a skate this year either. Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri was cut in a game against the Winnipeg Jets this weekend and is expected to miss a couple of weeks.
Unfortunately, this injury looks like it could be much more serious. We’ll have more updates as they become available tomorrow.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)