Oct 15, 2011, 2:47 AM EDT
The Ducks opened their North American schedule with a hard-fought 1-0 victory over the rival San Jose Sharks in front of a charged atmosphere in Anaheim. But the excitement of a big, early season victory for the team was short lived as head coach Randy Carlyle announced that forward Jason Blake was headed to the hospital with a “severe” cut on his left forearm. Initial reports say he’ll need “many sutures” tonight and doctors are currently examining the Ducks’ forward to figure out what to do next.
The cut occurred about halfway through the 3rd period of Friday night’s game. Here’s how the play cut occurred:
“Blake fell down near San Jose defenseman Brent Burns while attempting to play the puck moments after a faceoff, and Burns’ right skate appeared to cut Blake accidentally. Blake immediately raised his arm and skated off the ice.”
Here’s a link to video of the play.
Blake was forced to leave the arena on a stretcher that kept his arm upright.
Blake has been playing on the Ducks “old man” line alongside fellow veterans Saku Koivu and Teemu Selanne. He had 16 goals and 32 points in 76 games last season for the Ducks and has averaged 14:27 in ice time through the first three games of this season. He isn’t the first NHLer to be cut by a skate this year either. Canadiens forward Michael Cammalleri was cut in a game against the Winnipeg Jets this weekend and is expected to miss a couple of weeks.
Unfortunately, this injury looks like it could be much more serious. We’ll have more updates as they become available tomorrow.
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 16
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13