Oct 15, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have issued a release stating that Jason Blake will be out for three months because of a severe laceration near his left wrist. San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns slashed Blake with his skate in a freak accident in the third period of Friday’s game.
Ducks GM Bob Murray had this to say:
Jason is resting at home and doing very well. This was an unfortunate, freak accident, but we are pleased to hear that Jason is expected to make a full and complete recovery. He’s a real character person and teammate, and we look forward to having him back in our lineup when he’s ready.
Blake will go under the knife on Monday to repair some tendon damage. As unfortunate as this event was and as serious as Blake’s injury is, it’s also a bit of a relief to find out that the news is not as devastating as it could have been. Hopefully he’ll recover quickly and this whole event will be well behind him by the time the 2011-12 campaign is over.
In the meantime, the Ducks will need to re-evaluate their top two lines, which are off to a rough start this season.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)