Oct 15, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have issued a release stating that Jason Blake will be out for three months because of a severe laceration near his left wrist. San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns slashed Blake with his skate in a freak accident in the third period of Friday’s game.
Ducks GM Bob Murray had this to say:
Jason is resting at home and doing very well. This was an unfortunate, freak accident, but we are pleased to hear that Jason is expected to make a full and complete recovery. He’s a real character person and teammate, and we look forward to having him back in our lineup when he’s ready.
Blake will go under the knife on Monday to repair some tendon damage. As unfortunate as this event was and as serious as Blake’s injury is, it’s also a bit of a relief to find out that the news is not as devastating as it could have been. Hopefully he’ll recover quickly and this whole event will be well behind him by the time the 2011-12 campaign is over.
In the meantime, the Ducks will need to re-evaluate their top two lines, which are off to a rough start this season.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)