Oct 15, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have issued a release stating that Jason Blake will be out for three months because of a severe laceration near his left wrist. San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns slashed Blake with his skate in a freak accident in the third period of Friday’s game.
Ducks GM Bob Murray had this to say:
Jason is resting at home and doing very well. This was an unfortunate, freak accident, but we are pleased to hear that Jason is expected to make a full and complete recovery. He’s a real character person and teammate, and we look forward to having him back in our lineup when he’s ready.
Blake will go under the knife on Monday to repair some tendon damage. As unfortunate as this event was and as serious as Blake’s injury is, it’s also a bit of a relief to find out that the news is not as devastating as it could have been. Hopefully he’ll recover quickly and this whole event will be well behind him by the time the 2011-12 campaign is over.
In the meantime, the Ducks will need to re-evaluate their top two lines, which are off to a rough start this season.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)