Oct 15, 2011, 3:26 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks have issued a release stating that Jason Blake will be out for three months because of a severe laceration near his left wrist. San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns slashed Blake with his skate in a freak accident in the third period of Friday’s game.
Ducks GM Bob Murray had this to say:
Jason is resting at home and doing very well. This was an unfortunate, freak accident, but we are pleased to hear that Jason is expected to make a full and complete recovery. He’s a real character person and teammate, and we look forward to having him back in our lineup when he’s ready.
Blake will go under the knife on Monday to repair some tendon damage. As unfortunate as this event was and as serious as Blake’s injury is, it’s also a bit of a relief to find out that the news is not as devastating as it could have been. Hopefully he’ll recover quickly and this whole event will be well behind him by the time the 2011-12 campaign is over.
In the meantime, the Ducks will need to re-evaluate their top two lines, which are off to a rough start this season.
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 4
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 25
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)