Oct 15, 2011, 3:26 PM EST
The Anaheim Ducks have issued a release stating that Jason Blake will be out for three months because of a severe laceration near his left wrist. San Jose Sharks defenseman Brent Burns slashed Blake with his skate in a freak accident in the third period of Friday’s game.
Ducks GM Bob Murray had this to say:
Jason is resting at home and doing very well. This was an unfortunate, freak accident, but we are pleased to hear that Jason is expected to make a full and complete recovery. He’s a real character person and teammate, and we look forward to having him back in our lineup when he’s ready.
Blake will go under the knife on Monday to repair some tendon damage. As unfortunate as this event was and as serious as Blake’s injury is, it’s also a bit of a relief to find out that the news is not as devastating as it could have been. Hopefully he’ll recover quickly and this whole event will be well behind him by the time the 2011-12 campaign is over.
In the meantime, the Ducks will need to re-evaluate their top two lines, which are off to a rough start this season.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)