Oct 15, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Peter Mueller will miss his second consecutive game on Saturday with a mystery injury. Neither Colorado nor Mueller are willing to provide the media with much information, which brings back memories of the deafening silence we were often treated to when Mueller missed the entire 2010-11 season due to a concussion. The obvious fear is that he’s once again dealing with concussion symptoms, but as Adrian Dater of the Denver Post pointed out, Mueller skated on Saturday and that probably wouldn’t have been the case if he was badly concussed.
So for now, all we can say for certain is that Mueller is sidelined mere days after he played in his first regular season NHL game in over a year. The 20 points in 15 game tear that he went on when he was originally acquired by the Colorado Avalanche is beginning to feel like a distant memory, as is his 22-goal, 54-point rookie season in 2007-08.
Even if his latest injury turns out to be nothing serious, Mueller will still need time to shake off the rust from his extended absence. The fact that he dealt with three concussions in the span of two years is also something that people aren’t likely to forget any time soon. However, if he can eventually put this all behind him, we could be referring to Mueller as one of Colorado’s top players in a year or two.
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 19
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 7
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)