Oct 15, 2011, 1:08 PM EST
Peter Mueller will miss his second consecutive game on Saturday with a mystery injury. Neither Colorado nor Mueller are willing to provide the media with much information, which brings back memories of the deafening silence we were often treated to when Mueller missed the entire 2010-11 season due to a concussion. The obvious fear is that he’s once again dealing with concussion symptoms, but as Adrian Dater of the Denver Post pointed out, Mueller skated on Saturday and that probably wouldn’t have been the case if he was badly concussed.
So for now, all we can say for certain is that Mueller is sidelined mere days after he played in his first regular season NHL game in over a year. The 20 points in 15 game tear that he went on when he was originally acquired by the Colorado Avalanche is beginning to feel like a distant memory, as is his 22-goal, 54-point rookie season in 2007-08.
Even if his latest injury turns out to be nothing serious, Mueller will still need time to shake off the rust from his extended absence. The fact that he dealt with three concussions in the span of two years is also something that people aren’t likely to forget any time soon. However, if he can eventually put this all behind him, we could be referring to Mueller as one of Colorado’s top players in a year or two.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 4
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 65
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (115)