Oct 15, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Peter Mueller will miss his second consecutive game on Saturday with a mystery injury. Neither Colorado nor Mueller are willing to provide the media with much information, which brings back memories of the deafening silence we were often treated to when Mueller missed the entire 2010-11 season due to a concussion. The obvious fear is that he’s once again dealing with concussion symptoms, but as Adrian Dater of the Denver Post pointed out, Mueller skated on Saturday and that probably wouldn’t have been the case if he was badly concussed.
So for now, all we can say for certain is that Mueller is sidelined mere days after he played in his first regular season NHL game in over a year. The 20 points in 15 game tear that he went on when he was originally acquired by the Colorado Avalanche is beginning to feel like a distant memory, as is his 22-goal, 54-point rookie season in 2007-08.
Even if his latest injury turns out to be nothing serious, Mueller will still need time to shake off the rust from his extended absence. The fact that he dealt with three concussions in the span of two years is also something that people aren’t likely to forget any time soon. However, if he can eventually put this all behind him, we could be referring to Mueller as one of Colorado’s top players in a year or two.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)