Oct 15, 2011, 1:08 PM EDT
Peter Mueller will miss his second consecutive game on Saturday with a mystery injury. Neither Colorado nor Mueller are willing to provide the media with much information, which brings back memories of the deafening silence we were often treated to when Mueller missed the entire 2010-11 season due to a concussion. The obvious fear is that he’s once again dealing with concussion symptoms, but as Adrian Dater of the Denver Post pointed out, Mueller skated on Saturday and that probably wouldn’t have been the case if he was badly concussed.
So for now, all we can say for certain is that Mueller is sidelined mere days after he played in his first regular season NHL game in over a year. The 20 points in 15 game tear that he went on when he was originally acquired by the Colorado Avalanche is beginning to feel like a distant memory, as is his 22-goal, 54-point rookie season in 2007-08.
Even if his latest injury turns out to be nothing serious, Mueller will still need time to shake off the rust from his extended absence. The fact that he dealt with three concussions in the span of two years is also something that people aren’t likely to forget any time soon. However, if he can eventually put this all behind him, we could be referring to Mueller as one of Colorado’s top players in a year or two.
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)