Oct 15, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
It’s a good thing the Pittsburgh Penguins have showed that they can be competitive even without superstars Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby, because they’ve had to do that a lot lately. Malkin, whose 2010-11 campaign ended on February 4th because of a torn MCL and ACL in his right knee, has already missed two games because of soreness in his surgically repaired knee. He registered two assists in his return on Thursday, but it looks like he isn’t out of the woods yet.
Malkin was not on the ice this morning and he will not be in the game tonight.
He didn’t specify the nature of Malkin’s problem, so it could be anything, but the safe money is on Malkin’s right knee acting up again. The silver lining is that we’ve seen plenty of evidence that this injury hasn’t slowed Malkin down significantly on the days that he does play. He has a goal, three assists, and eight penalty minutes in three contests.
This might be a problem that goes away as the season progresses or it might be something that lingers throughout the 2011-12 campaign. On the plus side, Sidney Crosby is making progress towards his eventual return from a concussion. So who knows, maybe at some point in the not too distant future, the Penguins will have both of their stars play in the same game for the first time since January 5th.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)