Oct 15, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
It’s a good thing the Pittsburgh Penguins have showed that they can be competitive even without superstars Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby, because they’ve had to do that a lot lately. Malkin, whose 2010-11 campaign ended on February 4th because of a torn MCL and ACL in his right knee, has already missed two games because of soreness in his surgically repaired knee. He registered two assists in his return on Thursday, but it looks like he isn’t out of the woods yet.
Malkin was not on the ice this morning and he will not be in the game tonight.
He didn’t specify the nature of Malkin’s problem, so it could be anything, but the safe money is on Malkin’s right knee acting up again. The silver lining is that we’ve seen plenty of evidence that this injury hasn’t slowed Malkin down significantly on the days that he does play. He has a goal, three assists, and eight penalty minutes in three contests.
This might be a problem that goes away as the season progresses or it might be something that lingers throughout the 2011-12 campaign. On the plus side, Sidney Crosby is making progress towards his eventual return from a concussion. So who knows, maybe at some point in the not too distant future, the Penguins will have both of their stars play in the same game for the first time since January 5th.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)