Oct 15, 2011, 8:09 PM EDT
It only took 24 seconds before the Kings and Flyers game got real. A game that already had plenty of hype and emotion surrounding it got started in earnest when Flyers tough guy Zac Rinaldo caught Drew Doughty coming across the middle of the Flyers zone. To be clear: it was a clean hit from Rinaldo. Doughty saw him coming at the last minute, but it was a huge shoulder-to-shoulder check.
Doughty made it back to the ice for another shift before leaving the Kings bench and heading to the locker room. All in all, Doughty was on the ice for 1 minute and 34 seconds.
Doughty looked coherent after the hit and was seen working his shoulder on the bench afterwards, but it’s important to note that he suffered a concussion at the beginning of last season. He missed six games last season due to the concussion.
The Kings superstar blueliner did not return to the bench for the start of the 2nd period. The official word from the Kings PR department was an upper-body injury and he’s not expected to return to tonight’s game. We’ll keep you updated as details emerge.
Update (8:55pm EST): Kings PR says it is a “non-head injury” and the team expects Doughty to miss 7-10 days.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 41
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)