Oct 15, 2011, 9:26 PM EST
CBC lightning rod Don Cherry made waves two weeks ago when he publically called out former enforcers Chris Nilan, Stu Grimson, and Jim Thomsen. He said he was “disgusted” with the former enforcers because of their stance on fighting using words like “pukes,” “turncoats,” and “hypocrites.” Following the segment and some serious public outcry afterward, the three were considering legal action against the television personality.
Tonight, Cherry took the opportunity to apologize to the three former enforcers. From CBC:
“I gotta admit I was wrong on a lot of things,” Cherry said. “Three enforcers, tough guys, my type of guys, I threw them under the bus, and I’m sorry about it. I really am.”
“Chris and Stu never said that they took drugs because they were enforcers in the National Hockey League,” Cherry said. “Also, they never said they wanted fighting out of the game, that’s for sure.”
“I was wrong on that, 100 per cent wrong. And when you’re wrong, you have to admit it.”
You can see the full segment here.
What are the chances that the threat of a lawsuit had anything to do with the public apology. It was surprising nine days ago when Cherry publically went after the three former NHL tough guys—he’s been championing players like these for his entire career around the NHL. It didn’t take long for Chris Nilan to respond:
What do you think? Do you think it was good that Don Cherry apologized for his strong comments a week ago or should he have stayed true to his word.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)