Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
A lot of people will laugh when they hear the news from Brian Compton and other sources that Rick DiPietro is dealing with a concussion after getting hit in the mask with a shot during a New York Islanders practice. Others might acknowledge a situation that might have been amusing in its Wile E. Coyote-like stream of calamities, but is now just growing sad. Reports indicate that here’s no timetable for DiPietro’s recovery.
DiPietro’s list of injuries is almost as long as his much-ridiculed contract. In the last three seasons, he’s been limited to just 39 games played. There was the hope that this year might be different because he didn’t undergo any off-season surgeries, but that’s clearly not the case now.
Obviously, this simplifies the Islanders’ goalie choices down to Al Montoya and Evgeni Nabokov, unless Kevin Poulin forces himself back into the mix. We’ll pass along updates as he tries to recover from another troubling injury.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 5
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 13
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 10
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5