Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
A lot of people will laugh when they hear the news from Brian Compton and other sources that Rick DiPietro is dealing with a concussion after getting hit in the mask with a shot during a New York Islanders practice. Others might acknowledge a situation that might have been amusing in its Wile E. Coyote-like stream of calamities, but is now just growing sad. Reports indicate that here’s no timetable for DiPietro’s recovery.
DiPietro’s list of injuries is almost as long as his much-ridiculed contract. In the last three seasons, he’s been limited to just 39 games played. There was the hope that this year might be different because he didn’t undergo any off-season surgeries, but that’s clearly not the case now.
Obviously, this simplifies the Islanders’ goalie choices down to Al Montoya and Evgeni Nabokov, unless Kevin Poulin forces himself back into the mix. We’ll pass along updates as he tries to recover from another troubling injury.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)