Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
A lot of people will laugh when they hear the news from Brian Compton and other sources that Rick DiPietro is dealing with a concussion after getting hit in the mask with a shot during a New York Islanders practice. Others might acknowledge a situation that might have been amusing in its Wile E. Coyote-like stream of calamities, but is now just growing sad. Reports indicate that here’s no timetable for DiPietro’s recovery.
DiPietro’s list of injuries is almost as long as his much-ridiculed contract. In the last three seasons, he’s been limited to just 39 games played. There was the hope that this year might be different because he didn’t undergo any off-season surgeries, but that’s clearly not the case now.
Obviously, this simplifies the Islanders’ goalie choices down to Al Montoya and Evgeni Nabokov, unless Kevin Poulin forces himself back into the mix. We’ll pass along updates as he tries to recover from another troubling injury.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (44)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)