Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM EDT
A lot of people will laugh when they hear the news from Brian Compton and other sources that Rick DiPietro is dealing with a concussion after getting hit in the mask with a shot during a New York Islanders practice. Others might acknowledge a situation that might have been amusing in its Wile E. Coyote-like stream of calamities, but is now just growing sad. Reports indicate that here’s no timetable for DiPietro’s recovery.
DiPietro’s list of injuries is almost as long as his much-ridiculed contract. In the last three seasons, he’s been limited to just 39 games played. There was the hope that this year might be different because he didn’t undergo any off-season surgeries, but that’s clearly not the case now.
Obviously, this simplifies the Islanders’ goalie choices down to Al Montoya and Evgeni Nabokov, unless Kevin Poulin forces himself back into the mix. We’ll pass along updates as he tries to recover from another troubling injury.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54