Oct 14, 2011, 12:26 PM EST
A lot of people will laugh when they hear the news from Brian Compton and other sources that Rick DiPietro is dealing with a concussion after getting hit in the mask with a shot during a New York Islanders practice. Others might acknowledge a situation that might have been amusing in its Wile E. Coyote-like stream of calamities, but is now just growing sad. Reports indicate that here’s no timetable for DiPietro’s recovery.
DiPietro’s list of injuries is almost as long as his much-ridiculed contract. In the last three seasons, he’s been limited to just 39 games played. There was the hope that this year might be different because he didn’t undergo any off-season surgeries, but that’s clearly not the case now.
Obviously, this simplifies the Islanders’ goalie choices down to Al Montoya and Evgeni Nabokov, unless Kevin Poulin forces himself back into the mix. We’ll pass along updates as he tries to recover from another troubling injury.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 52
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)