Oct 14, 2011, 2:45 PM EST
Former Flyers captain Mike Richards is back in Philadelphia, only this time he’s going to be suiting up in the opponents locker room as part of a team with Stanley Cup hopes. Richards’ trade in the offseason to Los Angeles from Philly came as a shock, but seeing him come back now so early in the season (Saturday at 7 p.m.) with his new team is a bit of a switch for the guys in Philly, including the guy he was traded for in Wayne Simmonds.
“It’s good to see a good buddy that we had a lot of laughs with,” he said. “….I’m sure we’ll have a couple on the ice (Saturday), but when push comes to shove, he’ll be rolling over me to get the puck in the corner and I’ll be doing the same to him.”
Hartnell said it took Richards a while to “wrap his head around” the trade, but that he has accepted it and his mind “is in a good place now.”
These meetings are always a little awkward and even more so when they happen early in the season. New guys are still getting used to life with their new teams and those team bonds aren’t always formed right away.
In Richards’ case, playing in Philly gives the Flyers fans the chance to either show appreciation for his time in Philly, or give him the standard visiting player salute. Maybe Flyers fans will show their respect by booing him but holding off on throwing batteries.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)