Oct 14, 2011, 2:45 PM EST
Former Flyers captain Mike Richards is back in Philadelphia, only this time he’s going to be suiting up in the opponents locker room as part of a team with Stanley Cup hopes. Richards’ trade in the offseason to Los Angeles from Philly came as a shock, but seeing him come back now so early in the season (Saturday at 7 p.m.) with his new team is a bit of a switch for the guys in Philly, including the guy he was traded for in Wayne Simmonds.
“It’s good to see a good buddy that we had a lot of laughs with,” he said. “….I’m sure we’ll have a couple on the ice (Saturday), but when push comes to shove, he’ll be rolling over me to get the puck in the corner and I’ll be doing the same to him.”
Hartnell said it took Richards a while to “wrap his head around” the trade, but that he has accepted it and his mind “is in a good place now.”
These meetings are always a little awkward and even more so when they happen early in the season. New guys are still getting used to life with their new teams and those team bonds aren’t always formed right away.
In Richards’ case, playing in Philly gives the Flyers fans the chance to either show appreciation for his time in Philly, or give him the standard visiting player salute. Maybe Flyers fans will show their respect by booing him but holding off on throwing batteries.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 0
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 1
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 51
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (51)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)