Oct 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
Brooks Laich is just about done with hearing about concussions, the quiet room, and head injuries in general.
After seeing his teammate Jay Beagle get knocked out by Penguins tough guy Arron Asham, Laich was asked about whether he’s concerned with the possibility that Beagle might have a concussion and needs to sit a few out.
Laich, like Asham, didn’t pull any punches as he told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“I really don’t care about that awareness crap,” Laich said. “To be honest, I’m sick of hearing all this talk about concussions and about the quiet room.
“This is what we love to do. Guys love to play, they love to compete, they want to be on the ice. How do you take that away from someone? We accept that there’s going to be dangers when we play this game. We know that every time we get dressed.
“I don’t know, sometimes it just feels like we’re being babysat a little too much. We’re grown men and we should have a say in what we want to do.”
That’s as old school of a take on concussions as you’re going to find. Old school in the way that it’s outdated and wrong. This is the sort of take that would make a guy like Don Cherry blush.
There’s no doubt that some players are frustrated with how things are handled, but given that this is their livelihood and getting hurt for extended periods of time means not being able to do what they love anymore, you’d think there would be a bit more concern for their fellow man and for themselves just the same.
For guys like Laich, apparently not.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)