Oct 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
Brooks Laich is just about done with hearing about concussions, the quiet room, and head injuries in general.
After seeing his teammate Jay Beagle get knocked out by Penguins tough guy Arron Asham, Laich was asked about whether he’s concerned with the possibility that Beagle might have a concussion and needs to sit a few out.
Laich, like Asham, didn’t pull any punches as he told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“I really don’t care about that awareness crap,” Laich said. “To be honest, I’m sick of hearing all this talk about concussions and about the quiet room.
“This is what we love to do. Guys love to play, they love to compete, they want to be on the ice. How do you take that away from someone? We accept that there’s going to be dangers when we play this game. We know that every time we get dressed.
“I don’t know, sometimes it just feels like we’re being babysat a little too much. We’re grown men and we should have a say in what we want to do.”
That’s as old school of a take on concussions as you’re going to find. Old school in the way that it’s outdated and wrong. This is the sort of take that would make a guy like Don Cherry blush.
There’s no doubt that some players are frustrated with how things are handled, but given that this is their livelihood and getting hurt for extended periods of time means not being able to do what they love anymore, you’d think there would be a bit more concern for their fellow man and for themselves just the same.
For guys like Laich, apparently not.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 6
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)