Oct 14, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT
Brooks Laich is just about done with hearing about concussions, the quiet room, and head injuries in general.
After seeing his teammate Jay Beagle get knocked out by Penguins tough guy Arron Asham, Laich was asked about whether he’s concerned with the possibility that Beagle might have a concussion and needs to sit a few out.
Laich, like Asham, didn’t pull any punches as he told CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“I really don’t care about that awareness crap,” Laich said. “To be honest, I’m sick of hearing all this talk about concussions and about the quiet room.
“This is what we love to do. Guys love to play, they love to compete, they want to be on the ice. How do you take that away from someone? We accept that there’s going to be dangers when we play this game. We know that every time we get dressed.
“I don’t know, sometimes it just feels like we’re being babysat a little too much. We’re grown men and we should have a say in what we want to do.”
That’s as old school of a take on concussions as you’re going to find. Old school in the way that it’s outdated and wrong. This is the sort of take that would make a guy like Don Cherry blush.
There’s no doubt that some players are frustrated with how things are handled, but given that this is their livelihood and getting hurt for extended periods of time means not being able to do what they love anymore, you’d think there would be a bit more concern for their fellow man and for themselves just the same.
For guys like Laich, apparently not.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)