Oct 13, 2011, 12:05 AM EDT
Much of the focus from tonight’s Boston Bruins-Carolina Hurricanes game will be on what the defending 2011 champions did wrong. That doesn’t seem very fair to the Canes, though, as they excelled in a few areas to eek out a 3-2 win, which is their first victory of 2011-12.
Hurricanes win special teams battle, especially shorthanded
Sure, the Bruins power play woes are continuing; they went 0-for-5 against the Hurricanes and are an ugly 1-for-18 so far this season. That shouldn’t totally take away from Carolina’s shorthanded efforts, though.
Check out this video breakdown of some of their better moments.
Cam Ward comes up big
My feeling is that Ward would put up sexy numbers if he played behind a more responsible defense. That’s not the case, so he often carries a big burden to keep the Canes in games. His first two games weren’t very pretty, but he was a difference-maker tonight.
Finally, check out Ed Olczyk’s breakdown of how the Hurricanes scored tonight (and why they ultimately won). Their good work on offense combined with solid special teams work and strong goaltending for their first win of the season.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)