Oct 13, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
PHT gave hockey fans a heads up to watch Versus’ special feature on the Boston Bruins’ banner-raising ceremony, but it should have read like an order instead. It was reasonable to expect the feature to be a high-quality production, but it blew away those expectations.
It also ended up being about a lot more than just raising that 2011 Stanley Cup banner. All kinds of great tidbits were jammed into that half hour mini-documentary.
There were flashbacks to the days of Bobby Orr, with an interesting bit about a fan who waited 39 years to see his team win the Cup once again. Hockey fans were treated to a deeper look at Shawn Thornton as well as some of the trash-talking that goes on during games. (Brad Marchand provided quite the zinger toward Zac Rinaldo.)
Yet it only seems fitting that Tim Thomas stole the show. It’s easy to get distracted by the team’s Stanley Cup rings for all the bodacious bling, but that wasn’t what drove Thomas to put together one of the greatest years an NHL goalie ever produced.
Besides, after watching this clip, you’ll know that there are other, humbler rings that mean a lot more to Thomas.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 20
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17