Oct 13, 2011, 1:24 AM EST
PHT gave hockey fans a heads up to watch Versus’ special feature on the Boston Bruins’ banner-raising ceremony, but it should have read like an order instead. It was reasonable to expect the feature to be a high-quality production, but it blew away those expectations.
It also ended up being about a lot more than just raising that 2011 Stanley Cup banner. All kinds of great tidbits were jammed into that half hour mini-documentary.
There were flashbacks to the days of Bobby Orr, with an interesting bit about a fan who waited 39 years to see his team win the Cup once again. Hockey fans were treated to a deeper look at Shawn Thornton as well as some of the trash-talking that goes on during games. (Brad Marchand provided quite the zinger toward Zac Rinaldo.)
Yet it only seems fitting that Tim Thomas stole the show. It’s easy to get distracted by the team’s Stanley Cup rings for all the bodacious bling, but that wasn’t what drove Thomas to put together one of the greatest years an NHL goalie ever produced.
Besides, after watching this clip, you’ll know that there are other, humbler rings that mean a lot more to Thomas.
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 1
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21