Oct 13, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
PHT gave hockey fans a heads up to watch Versus’ special feature on the Boston Bruins’ banner-raising ceremony, but it should have read like an order instead. It was reasonable to expect the feature to be a high-quality production, but it blew away those expectations.
It also ended up being about a lot more than just raising that 2011 Stanley Cup banner. All kinds of great tidbits were jammed into that half hour mini-documentary.
There were flashbacks to the days of Bobby Orr, with an interesting bit about a fan who waited 39 years to see his team win the Cup once again. Hockey fans were treated to a deeper look at Shawn Thornton as well as some of the trash-talking that goes on during games. (Brad Marchand provided quite the zinger toward Zac Rinaldo.)
Yet it only seems fitting that Tim Thomas stole the show. It’s easy to get distracted by the team’s Stanley Cup rings for all the bodacious bling, but that wasn’t what drove Thomas to put together one of the greatest years an NHL goalie ever produced.
Besides, after watching this clip, you’ll know that there are other, humbler rings that mean a lot more to Thomas.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)