Oct 13, 2011, 1:24 AM EDT
PHT gave hockey fans a heads up to watch Versus’ special feature on the Boston Bruins’ banner-raising ceremony, but it should have read like an order instead. It was reasonable to expect the feature to be a high-quality production, but it blew away those expectations.
It also ended up being about a lot more than just raising that 2011 Stanley Cup banner. All kinds of great tidbits were jammed into that half hour mini-documentary.
There were flashbacks to the days of Bobby Orr, with an interesting bit about a fan who waited 39 years to see his team win the Cup once again. Hockey fans were treated to a deeper look at Shawn Thornton as well as some of the trash-talking that goes on during games. (Brad Marchand provided quite the zinger toward Zac Rinaldo.)
Yet it only seems fitting that Tim Thomas stole the show. It’s easy to get distracted by the team’s Stanley Cup rings for all the bodacious bling, but that wasn’t what drove Thomas to put together one of the greatest years an NHL goalie ever produced.
Besides, after watching this clip, you’ll know that there are other, humbler rings that mean a lot more to Thomas.
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 10
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)