Oct 13, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
After a sloppy win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, many probably wagered against Tomas Vokoun playing tonight. His chances of becoming the Washington Capitals’ starter for Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins increased substantially once word surfaced that Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower body injury, though.
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington reports that Braden Holtby (pictured) has been recalled to suit up as one of the Caps’ two goalies tonight. One would assume that this situation opens the door for Vokoun to “redeem” himself against the Penguins, but you never know with head coach Bruce Boudreau.
Holtby played so well in limited work last season that people made some rather bold claims that Semyon Varlamov became the third best goalie on the Capitals. That was a bit hasty, but the young goalie certainly made the most of his opportunities in 2010-11.
The odds are still on Vokoun starting against the 3-0-1 Penguins, but we’ll keep an eye out for reports to the contrary. Either way, it looks like the Capitals’ goalie depth will be challenged for a second straight season.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)