Oct 13, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
After a sloppy win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, many probably wagered against Tomas Vokoun playing tonight. His chances of becoming the Washington Capitals’ starter for Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins increased substantially once word surfaced that Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower body injury, though.
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington reports that Braden Holtby (pictured) has been recalled to suit up as one of the Caps’ two goalies tonight. One would assume that this situation opens the door for Vokoun to “redeem” himself against the Penguins, but you never know with head coach Bruce Boudreau.
Holtby played so well in limited work last season that people made some rather bold claims that Semyon Varlamov became the third best goalie on the Capitals. That was a bit hasty, but the young goalie certainly made the most of his opportunities in 2010-11.
The odds are still on Vokoun starting against the 3-0-1 Penguins, but we’ll keep an eye out for reports to the contrary. Either way, it looks like the Capitals’ goalie depth will be challenged for a second straight season.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)