Oct 13, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
After a sloppy win against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday, many probably wagered against Tomas Vokoun playing tonight. His chances of becoming the Washington Capitals’ starter for Thursday’s game against the Pittsburgh Penguins increased substantially once word surfaced that Michal Neuvirth is dealing with a lower body injury, though.
Chase Hughes of CSNWashington reports that Braden Holtby (pictured) has been recalled to suit up as one of the Caps’ two goalies tonight. One would assume that this situation opens the door for Vokoun to “redeem” himself against the Penguins, but you never know with head coach Bruce Boudreau.
Holtby played so well in limited work last season that people made some rather bold claims that Semyon Varlamov became the third best goalie on the Capitals. That was a bit hasty, but the young goalie certainly made the most of his opportunities in 2010-11.
The odds are still on Vokoun starting against the 3-0-1 Penguins, but we’ll keep an eye out for reports to the contrary. Either way, it looks like the Capitals’ goalie depth will be challenged for a second straight season.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 2
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 77
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (80)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)