Oct 13, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins fans were elated and then deflated by the tease on Tuesday. Now it looks like it’s coming to fruition, though: Sidney Crosby has been cleared for full contact in practices as of today, according to Alan Robinson of NHL.com.
Jeremy Roenick and others might be tired of the Crosby updates, but this is a promising sign that Crosby could be back in the near future. Here’s what Crosby told reporters after participating in that first full contact practice today.
“Yeah, it’s full contact, so it’s a good step in the right direction,” Crosby said. “It’s a big step … it’s a big one and we’ll see how things go.”
Robinson points out that the Penguins have a crowded October schedule of 13 games, so it might be difficult to test Crosby enough to prove that he’s ready to return. That’s a better problem to have than Crosby being unable to take any hits in scrimmages, though.
Speaking of injured Penguins stars, Evgeni Malkin was involved in the morning skate today, which brings optimism that he might play against the Washington Capitals tonight. That’s far from a guarantee, though, so we’ll keep our eyes open for updates.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)