Oct 13, 2011, 12:33 PM EST
Pittsburgh Penguins fans were elated and then deflated by the tease on Tuesday. Now it looks like it’s coming to fruition, though: Sidney Crosby has been cleared for full contact in practices as of today, according to Alan Robinson of NHL.com.
Jeremy Roenick and others might be tired of the Crosby updates, but this is a promising sign that Crosby could be back in the near future. Here’s what Crosby told reporters after participating in that first full contact practice today.
“Yeah, it’s full contact, so it’s a good step in the right direction,” Crosby said. “It’s a big step … it’s a big one and we’ll see how things go.”
Robinson points out that the Penguins have a crowded October schedule of 13 games, so it might be difficult to test Crosby enough to prove that he’s ready to return. That’s a better problem to have than Crosby being unable to take any hits in scrimmages, though.
Speaking of injured Penguins stars, Evgeni Malkin was involved in the morning skate today, which brings optimism that he might play against the Washington Capitals tonight. That’s far from a guarantee, though, so we’ll keep our eyes open for updates.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 0
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 31
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)