Oct 13, 2011, 12:33 PM EDT
Pittsburgh Penguins fans were elated and then deflated by the tease on Tuesday. Now it looks like it’s coming to fruition, though: Sidney Crosby has been cleared for full contact in practices as of today, according to Alan Robinson of NHL.com.
Jeremy Roenick and others might be tired of the Crosby updates, but this is a promising sign that Crosby could be back in the near future. Here’s what Crosby told reporters after participating in that first full contact practice today.
“Yeah, it’s full contact, so it’s a good step in the right direction,” Crosby said. “It’s a big step … it’s a big one and we’ll see how things go.”
Robinson points out that the Penguins have a crowded October schedule of 13 games, so it might be difficult to test Crosby enough to prove that he’s ready to return. That’s a better problem to have than Crosby being unable to take any hits in scrimmages, though.
Speaking of injured Penguins stars, Evgeni Malkin was involved in the morning skate today, which brings optimism that he might play against the Washington Capitals tonight. That’s far from a guarantee, though, so we’ll keep our eyes open for updates.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks